Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about permissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebassett

Programmer
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi,
I have an exe on machine A which invokes a service on machine B, using clireg32 and dcomcnfg. The service basically updates some rows in the database. When I run this exe from the cmd prompt, it works like a charm.
However, when I invoke the same exe on machine A from a webclass using the "shell" command, (I have IIS running on this machine), it gives me a
"Error : 70 - Permission denied"
Now the thing I found funny is that the next time I run the exe again from the prompt on machine A, the rows that should have been updated from the webclass also get updated along with those that should have been updated with this latest invocaion of the exe.
I would be very grateful if someone could point me to some light in all this darkness. What does all this mean? Ne sugegestions how I can get this thing to work when called from my webclass.
Thanks,
Steve.

Some more information.
1. there is a firewall between machine A and machine B, though I suspect that does not affect things, because it runs when invoked from the command line
2. the "funny" thing i referred to, where by pending requests were handled has been sorted out.
But main problem of perission error when the .exe is called using "shell" still exists.
Would appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
Steve.

Can it be caused by the fact that either the EXE, one of its dependencies, or maybe the database, is located in a folder that doesn't allow access or executing rights for the IWAM_xxx user? I would search the problem in such direction....

Greetings,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back