Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about my 160gb harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtony

MIS
Aug 5, 2005
US
Okay, so i think i have a virus now because my norton's been popping up every other minute. i plan on formatting, but i have a question. Right now, I also have a WD 160gb hd as my D drive. I remember when i first installed it, it only showed 127 gb of space, and had to install sp1. but now im wondering, if i format my c drive, would the harddrive messup because its not going to be sp1? i have alot of stuff on my d drive that i dont want to get corrupted. thanks

imtony,

Suggest you unhook the "D" drive prior to your reformat/re-install and after back up with SP1 installed then re-hook the "D:" drive.

You should be capable of cleaning your current install though, but you be the judge on this.

Hope this helps

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

what happens if i dont unhook it and just format the C: drive with regular windows xp home?

It all depends on how much you value your data on your D: drive and how lucky you feel. Without 48-bit LBA support provided by SP1, the D: is guaranteed to be accessed improperly. Even if YOU don't look at the D: drive, XP will at some point in time during its install, and it may very well attempt to write something to it (System Volume Information comes to mind).

I'd follow rvnguy 's advice if it was me in your position.

Another option is to create a slipstreamed SP1 XP CD. See

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back