Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about MSDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

objuan

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
US
I am wondering about any limitations that might be present with the use of MSDE (rather than SQL Server) for a low volume application. In reading some of the documentation, it appears that MSDE might be appropriate for this, but wanted to know if anyone has used it before for a production application. MS documentation says that it is okay for low volume, but I'm wondering how low volume it means. Opinions?

Lots of people have used MSDE for production. What kind of volume are you looking at?

Thanks Perryf. The volume would be very low...a high estimate would be 10 consecutive users in the short-medium term. It sounds like it would be fine for this case, but I was hoping know at what point one would need to look at other options. And also to know when it could be considered for other things as well.

MSDE is limited to databases of 2gig or less..
MSDE will execute 5 similtanious querys
MSED supports many connections but at 5 querys starts queing the querys.
MSDE doesn't persist #temp tables past the current batch
MSDE ignors most "optimizer hints"

But

we run an app that has 24 users inserting an average of 56,000 records a day and have seen no concurrency violations but did bump into the 2GB limit once (never again!)

Heck for free you can't beat it!

My 2c

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back