Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about IEEE 1284 Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohuett

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
How long can a IEEE 1284 cable be before the signal from the PC to the Printer starts to weaken. I have seen where they sell 30ft cables but I thought I remembered something about them not working well after a certain length...10ft maybe?

I beleive the actual suggested max is 10 METERS! so here in the us that means 10 /20 and 30' cables are available quite readily

I have run 50 foot cables successfully on some machines. I have been unsuccessful on others with 15 foot cables.
Lots of variables. Try it. If it fails move the printer closer or get an extender. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed fair is correct. 50ft is the Max you want for IEE1284 cables. After that the signal gets weaker with each foot. Pretty much for a home office dont really go more than 25 feet unless you have to. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back