Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Gantt chart: MS Project vs. Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nance67

Programmer
Jul 9, 2008
US
I understand there are 2 Microsoft products that can create Gantt charts: Project and Excel.

Project seems like the natural choice since that is part of the software, but I have not heard good things about it. Not having Project as part of my package I can't explore it.

I'm hoping there are some experienced users out there who can tell me what the advantage is of using Project over Excel.

Is Excel a better option for creating Gantt charts?

Out of the Microsoft Office Products, Visio can also do Gantt charts.

IMO, if all you're after is a gantt chart, then customization-wise, Excel has the least, Project in the middle, Visio is the most customizable.

From my brief search online, it seems Excel creates Gantt charts through what is essentially a Bar Graph. Depending on how savvy you are, you can create many functions you can find in Project. (The immediate exception appears to be showing the linkage between tasks, showing Summary Tasks, or Milestones differently from other tasks).

Microsoft Visio's focus is charts, graphs and diagrams. The Gantt Chart Wizard in 2003 seems pretty neat, allows you to link tasks, and show summary tasks and milestones as different symbols from the other tasks. You can do a whole lot of crazy things visually as it's focus is ultimately the picture.

Microsoft Project is a collection of project management tools. Above the other two, it can be used to define and measure costs. It can be used for managing resources, task assignments, and can be used to store and track against baselines. It can more easily (IMO) be used to manage a project, as the functionality is there (in excel you have to create the functionality yourself). The downside being a steeper learning curve. It's not like Microsoft Word or Excel that you can just pick up and start using. (I've seen accountants use excel to enter numbers, then use a calculator to sum it up, and place the number in the last cell.)

In summary, depends on your budget and scope. If you want to just create a one-off Gantt chart - stick with Excel. If you want to have multiple capabilities in one tool, and have the money to pay for training (or a good book) and the product, Project is good.

Ultimately the tool you choose comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I'd suggest taking a Project course, or read through a book on it, and see if you feel Project's other features will be useful to you. Choose the tool that makes you more efficient :)

Hi,

I have not used MS Project in quite a while. But I believe that I can shed some light on your question.

Excel does not have Gantt Chart Tyles. Excel has Horizontal Bar Chart Types, that can, if you manipulate the source data for the series, represent a Gantt Chart. In order to make a fully funcitonal Gantt Chart, like you see in Project, takes skill and effort. You don't just drop in your WBS/Schedule in Excel and out comes a Gantt Chart.

Check out Create a Gantt chart in Excel

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Sorry, I really did not directly answer your question, "Is Excel a better option for creating Gantt charts?"

No.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

As has been stated many times here by a well known forum MVP, if you want to draw pretty pictures, don't use Project. MS Project is a project management tool, not an art studio. If you're not going to use the other features of MS Project, you might as well use Excel, or even some shareware or public domain program like Quick Schedule plus.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

I am fairly comfortable in Excel and could probably handle the stacked bar chart, but functionality is important, so it sounds like Excel is out.

What I've heard is that Project is difficult to use, even with training. That is why I was considering Excel as an option.

Visio is an interesting alternative. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for all of the input thus far. If there are any more ideas, I welcome them.

Thanks.

A few comments:
1. MS Project is like Excel in that in can be used for very simplistic things, or also like Excel, it can be used for very complicated things (projects).

2. By default, as you enter tasks and their atttributes (Start date, Finish date, Duration, Predecessors, etc), MS Project automatically creates a Gantt Chart to reflect these tasks/data.

3. You will find a couple of articles and a couple of videos that compare MS Project to Excel here:

4. I have used the Timeline template within Visio a number of times within my past to show a project with various milestones.

5. I agree with the comment above that if you want "pretty pictures", MS Project is not the right choice. If all you want is a picture, you might take a look at PowerPoint. Within PowerPoint 2003 is a Presentation template for Project Overview. Within there is a slide titled Schedule that includes a pretty Gantt Chart!

6. For those wishing to quickly get MS Project information into PowerPoint, you find an MS Project Add-in and a video here:

Hope this helps!

JBlack

i use MS Visio for Gantt charts and flowcharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back