Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF13

Technical User
Oct 30, 2006
DE
Sometimes I have to help customers via phone. So I can not see their PC. I had some issues with firewalls, but my problem is that I can not see if a firewall is installed (because I am not in customer’s office).

Is there any way to find out if a firewall is installed on a PC? Is there a way (maybe a dos command) to get information about blocked ports of a PC?

Yes, this is not an IP Office specific question, sorry.
I had this problem with Phone Manager. The Log On Window is shown, but if you click on the user list button, then you get an error message. It is possible to ping the IP office, so I think only a few ports are blocked. I hoped there is a way to check this without to go to the customer site.

I know its not an IPO question but i happen to be a microsoft guy so here ya go.

you can go through control panel and check windows firewall.

-or-

command prompt:
netsh <enter>
firewall <enter>
show state <enter>

you can run other show commands as well i.e. "show portopening" or type "show ?" and it will give a list of commands.

you can also make a batch file with the command prompt commands so the user can just execute and give you the status

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

THX!!

This is a very good help.

Does it works only with the windows firewall or with other firewalls too?

only windows firewall. Other firewall software may have its own CLI commands.

Best advice i can give for that is check the MFG documentation and good old google.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back