Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Crystal Reports.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdRev

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
US
I posted this question in the CR - Gen Forum, but the response time over there is a little bit slower than here. May be somebody can answer this here a tad faster.
There was an item in the FAQ that is similar, but I got lost reading it.

I'm kinda new with Crystal Report, so forgive me if my question might sound stupid.

I just created a Crystal report which I will run on my VB application. As I was designing the report, I realized that I can only reference an existing table in my database. I would want this report to use a recordset that I will create in my VB application. Is there anyway I can pass this recordset to the report file during run-time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi EdRev!
If you mean is there any way that a new recordset created for your existing table can be passed to your Crystal report at runtime, then there is no problem. Just make sure you have the Refresh button available on your Crystal Reports window. The refresh button is available quite easily if you are using Crystal's Active-X control. It is an option you can enable in the properties section. If you run the report just after you have created a new record, the report should pick it up anyway. However, if your application is creating recordsets in the background, the refresh button will bring your report up to date immediately. I hope this is what you are looking for.
regards - Micash

Micash, thanks for your response.

Actually, what I need to do is to create a report that will be used as a template for a recordset that my vb application will create at run-time. As I was designing the report, it prompted me for a table to link to. Although the table that I linked to has the same format as the recordset that will be created, it's okay this time. But i would want to design a report that I will populate with a recodset during run-time.

Also, as I am new with Crystal Reports, I kinda need to see an example of how to reference this report on my vb application (i.e opening the report and populate the report with the recordset-the whole nine yards).

i appreciate any assistance you can provide.

thanks again....

traffen(Programmer)
I use temporary tables quite often, I create the table the first time through SQL Server Query Analyzer or Oracle SQL plus. Then set up the Crystal report. I then DROP the table from the database and in code recreate it and populate with my recordset. This way, anyone running the report, the table will only contain their data. It's pretty simple. There are other ways to do this.

thank you guys for you responses.

Traffen, as I am new with Crystal Reports, I can understand the concept of what you proposed but for sure I will be lost when I try to code it myself.

Silver30,

I went to that website and printed the file. I haven't read thru it yet, but it looks like it's gonna be very helpful with my problem. It gives me some alternatives and the codes itself.

thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back