Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about copying from one server to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisdela

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
GB
Hi all

I am going to be moving around 105GB of data from one 2003 server to another, i was planning to use a cross over cable between them and do it overnight. I'm worried however that after a while i'll get a message up stating this file is read only do you want to copy, or something similar, with it being done overnight i won't be there to click ok. I'm not the best with command line utilities so i was wondering if somebody can help me out with a way to do this, either command line with switches or third party utility that will let me come back in the next day and have all the data moved regardless of whether it was open or read only or whatever while copying.

any help is much appreciated.

Robocopy is a good command line utility that you can use to accomplish this. You can use the mirror (data) command to make sure that everything gets copied.

Also Xcopy can be used for this.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. Robocopy worked a treat and i've now used it on two seperate migrations, 1 SBS to 2003 and 1 2000 to 2003 and they both went flawlessly. Thanks for pointing out this tool, if you have any other useful tools for migration or general administration i'd like to hear about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back