Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about a SQL query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmiram

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2005
US
Hi all:

I am new to SQL server and am running into a few issues with my queries. I have the following query:

SELECT SubdivisionName, sum(DivCount)
FROM

(SELECT Subdivisions.SubdivisionName, HouseDetails.HouseCount AS DivCount, Subdivisions.SubdivisionID
FROM Subdivisions, HouseDetails WHERE Subdivisions.SubdivisionID = HouseDetails.SubdivisionID
AND (Subdivisions.SubdivisionID IN (2,3))AND (HouseDetails.DwellingID IN (1,2,3)))

Group By SubdivisionName

I am basically trying to summarize the results that I receive in the sub query by using the "Sum" function and the "group by" clause. I don't want the dwellingID to be taken into account while summarizing the date.

The sub query when I run it by itself runs fine. However, as a whole, the query does not run. It generates the following error.

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 5
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'Group'.

Can you tell me what is wrong?

Thanks.

sure
Code:
FROM 

(SELECT Subdivisions.SubdivisionName, HouseDetails.HouseCount AS DivCount, Subdivisions.SubdivisionID
FROM Subdivisions, HouseDetails WHERE Subdivisions.SubdivisionID = HouseDetails.SubdivisionID 
AND (Subdivisions.SubdivisionID IN (2,3))AND (HouseDetails.DwellingID IN (1,2,3))) [red]x[/red]

Group By SubdivisionName

Denis The SQL Menace
SQL blog:
Personal Blog:

Subqueris must ahve an alias.

Code:
FROM 

AND (Subdivisions.SubdivisionID IN (2,3))AND (HouseDetails.DwellingID IN (1,2,3)))[!] As X[/!]

Group By SubdivisionName

In this case, you can alias it with anything you want.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Oh, sure. Denis's will also work. [wink]

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

It works great :) Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back