Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Querystring size problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEICJDN1

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
I have a simple ASP database pages to list some useful references and links. All works fine, except for a couple where it appears the whole link data is not being correcly passed. The link is correct in the fiels in the database (set to 255 chars) but when the table displaying the links is constructed some of the link details are truncated.

The link appears as a name with the actual web address appended as a querystring. I am unsure if the truncation is due to some problem with the table cell size (not specified) or an issue with the length of the querystring?

The full link appears correctly in the source code but is truncated when displayed in the bottom toolbar if I hover over the link.

Is this an issue with table cell data field size, querystring lenth or something else?

Cheers.

IE supports querystrings up to 2054 characters, off the top of my head. Since it doesn't sound like your links are anywhere near that long, my guess is that there are invalid characters in the querystring that are truncating it (for example, a ? in a querystring will truncate it at that point). I suggest that you Server.URLEncode() the querystrings, to convert any errant characters into valid URL chars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back