Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

querying VFP table on DATE datatype in SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphcarter

Programmer
Aug 8, 2006
US
We are developing a VB app and are trying to create a recordset from a VFP table by filtering on a field with a DATE datatype. We continue to get the following errors.

[ODBC VISUAL FOXPRO DRIVER]MISSING OPERAND
or
OPERATOR/OPERAND TYPE MISMATCH

Below is an example of the code we are using. This particular code gets the missing operand error.

All help is appreciated

sSQL = "SELECT * From mbw_sale WHERE mbw_sale.rundate = #07/27/2007#;"

tblsale.Open sSQL, dbase1, adOpenStatic, adLockBatchOptimistic, adCmdText

Thanks
Ralph

Try
sSQL = "SELECT * From mbw_sale WHERE mbw_sale.rundate = DATE(2007,07,27)

Hi Ralph,

Zografski has given you a good answer. Your problem was that we don't use # to delimit a date, as with other back ends.

Note also that you might need to remove the semi-colon at the end of the command. VFP uses semi-colons as a line continuation character, not a terminator. But I'm not sure about this. It could be that your client software expects the semi-colon.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

You could try:
Code:
sSQL = "SELECT * From mbw_sale WHERE DTOS(mbw_sale.rundate) = '20070727'"

BUT all depends what indexes you have, If you have an index that uses JUST rundate as key, then use Zografski's suggestion, that query will be optimizable. If you have index on DTOS(rundate) then use mine. If you didn't have any index by this field then there is no difference what you will use. Maybe mine is a little easier to build, but not much :)

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP1, SQL Server 2000/2005.
MVP VFP

Thanks everyone but we have the problem solved. The problem was in the CONNECT string. We were using "DSN = VISUAL FOXPRO DATABASE" when we should have ben using "DSN = MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO DRIVER".

Thanks again for the help

Ralph

Ralph,
try to switch from ODBC to VFPOLEDB. ODBC driver for VFP wasn't updated since VFP6, if you or any other developer by any chance use new features of VFP (8 or 9) like AUTOINCREMENTing fields, BLOB, varchar, varbinary etc your application will crashed.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP1, SQL Server 2000/2005.
MVP VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back