Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Querying multiple keywords through a junction table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluze

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to do what is usually a simple task:

I've three tables - images,keywords, and keylink.

[Images] hold the details of a photograph in a stock library.
[Keywords] holds a list of keywords that are available to be related to the images in [images]
[keylink] consists of [imageid] and [keywordid] and is used as a junction table to related multiple keywords with an image.

In access, I've created this SQL string:

SELECT images.imageID, images.fileName, keywords.keyword, keywords.keyword
FROM keywords INNER JOIN (images INNER JOIN keyLink ON images.imageID = keyLink.imageID) ON keywords.keywordID = keyLink.keywordID
WHERE (((keywords.keyword)="post" And (keywords.keyword)="box"));

Which is designed to display [imageid] and [filename] from the table [images] where the image is linked to both the words "post" and "box".

This string works fine when I use just one search word, but returns empty when I try more than one, as above.

Anyone any idea where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks

Thanks Rudy,

But I want the imageid to be returned where the junction table links the image to both the word "post" AND the word "box" in the keywords table.

So that I can build the database like this:

Images
imageid: 1 filename: tree.jpg
imageid: 2 filename: landscape.jpg

keylink
imageID: 1 keywordID:1
imageID: 1 keywordID:2
imageID: 2 keywordID:1
imageID: 2 keywordID:2
imageID: 2 keywordID:3

keywords:
keywordID: 1 keyword: 'tree'
keywordID: 2 keyword: 'green'
keywordID: 3 keyword: 'river'

And do a search on 'tree' AND 'river'. In this case, imageID 2 would be returned.

Any ideas?

Bluze

okay, i was hoping it was the simple solution, but i see you really did want AND...

the sql is a bit more complex, and i'm afraid you won't be able to get both keywords into the SELECT list easily

SELECT images.imageID
, images.fileName
FROM keywords
INNER JOIN (images
INNER JOIN keyLink
ON images.imageID = keyLink.imageID)
ON keywords.keywordID = keyLink.keywordID
WHERE keywords.keyword="post"
OR keywords.keyword="box"
group by images.imageID
, images.fileName
having count(*) = 2

rudy

Yes, that's it!

Thanks loads.

Just one question so that I can get the SQL statement built correctly automatically - that having count(*)=2 at the end - does that refer to that number of keywords it's searching on?

Thanks again,

Bluze

yes

let's say the query was looking for images that had at least three out of four keywords, you'd use count(*)>=3

rudy

Excellent, thank you, that's the perfect solution.

All the best,

Bluze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back