Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

query using a +/- value? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonaway

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
US
I'm pretty inexperienced so I hope I'm phrasing my questions correctly. But I'm creating a database at work and ultimately, the enduser will be entering data in a form, and then viewing a print preview report listing the results of the query, which is run based on what they entered in the form. I have seen information on how to do sum, totals etc. But for example, one of the values entered in the form, I need the query to search for that value, plus or minus 10%. What is the easiest way to code this? I appreciate any help offered.

You can use parameters within queries. For numeric or date values(which are themselves basically numeric) you can use the 'Between' keyword. So, for example, if you have a control on your form and you want to find a value in your query that is within +/- 10% of this value your criteria would look something like the following:

Between (Forms!FormName!ControlName * 1.1) And (Forms!FormName!ControlName * .9)

Thank you! That seems to have worked. Now the remainder of the fields, they want the results to be like a -0/+5%, another is +5,-0, so for one like that, would it be better to do a greater than?

Try for -0/+5%:

=< [CriteriaValue] * 1.05

and for +5, -0:

=< [CriteriaValue] + 5

ok, I tried that, and I get an error message that says &quot;the expression you entered contains invalid syntax. You may have entered a comma w/o a preceding value or indentifier. The expression I entered under criteria was: =< [BW] * 1.05, with BW being the control name of the box on my form, where this data is being entered. Did I do something incorrectly? Again, I thank you so much for your help!

jdonaway@klmicrowave.com

Sorry to butt in on your thread! I think the operator should be &quot;<=&quot; not &quot;=<&quot;

pjm

that's seems to be working! Thanks so much! I have another question about my form and checkboxes but I'll wait til I get the rest of my query working. :)

ok, now this is where it gets tricky. I have a drop down list, where the user will select a value from 20-60. (increments of 20; 20, 30, up to 60), then in another box on the form, they will enter a low number and a high number. In my table I have a 20 low field, a 20 high field, a 30 low field, a 30 high field, etc. So ultimately, the user wants to select either 20, 30 or whatever, enter in the low and high number and retrieve the results. Is this something I can achieve with criteria in my query or does the coding get more difficult? If I'm not making any sense, please email me. Thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back