Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query to show all clients from a table with last event another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokengod

Programmer
Nov 8, 2002
AU
To the brainstrust,

I have seen some similar questions as this, however due to being a bear of little brain, have had trouble adapting those solutions to my tables.

Basically, I have 2 tables with fields shown below:

caseTable
- caseID
- caseLodged
- caseAllocated etc

caseRequestTable
- caseLink
- caseRequestDate
- caseRequestType

The table are linked by caseID and caseLink.

I need the query to show all cases (from caseTable) with only the most recent request (from caseRequestTable). To date I have only managed to get results showing duplicates of the case with each request or nothing...

Appreciate any advice

bg

What is your actual SQL code ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Wow, speedy response.

This is the basic query which shows all the duplicate cases with each request. I tried using top, but that just gives me the most recent case only, not each case record showing the most recent request:

SELECT DISTINCTROW caseRequestTable.caseRequestResubmit, caseRequestTable.casRequestOutcome, caseRequestTable.caseRequestType, caseTable.*
FROM caseTable LEFT JOIN caseRequestTable ON caseTable.caseID = caseRequestTable.caseLink
ORDER BY caseRequestTable.caseRequestResubmit DESC;

I know it needs work, but not sure how to tweak it.

Where is caseRequestDate ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Sorry, my mistake, the caseRequestDate is actually called caseRequestResubmit. I amended the field date in the first request in a foolish attempt to make the questions simpler.

What about this ?
SELECT R.caseRequestResubmit, R.casRequestOutcome, R.caseRequestType, T.*
FROM (caseTable AS T
LEFT JOIN caseRequestTable AS R ON T.caseID = R.caseLink)
LEFT JOIN (
SELECT caseLink, Max(caseRequestResubmit) AS caseRequestDate
FROM caseRequestTable GROUP BY caseLink
) AS L ON R.caseLink = L.caseLink AND R.caseRequestResubmit = L.caseRequestDate
ORDER BY R.caseRequestResubmit DESC

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hmmn, still getting several rows for each case with the request details the only difference...

Strange,

The subquery:

SELECT caseLink, Max(caseRequestResubmit) AS caseRequestDate FROM caseRequestTable GROUP BY caseLink

returns one record for each case as is desired, but the overall query gives all the requests, not the Max...

What happens if you replace LEFT JOIN with INNER JOIN ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hahaha, looks good!

I think we are on the way. PHV, all those things they said about you were totally false.

Seriously, my thanks for the help and I will try to learn from this for next time.

God I love this site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back