Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

query to get field names of a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbrady

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
US
Is it possible to use a query to get the field names of a table, like querying MSysObjects to get the table names? I am only using Access on the back end, using ColdFusion on the front end, so I cannot use built in language like Field List.

Have you used the Documentor?

Unless you need to use the field names in code, this will give you a printable list of the tables field names and properties.

Under Tools/Analyze/Documentor

HTH
Larry De Laruelle
larry1de@yahoo.com

Thank-you for your response. I have used the Documentor to print the database schema. However, what I need to do is code based. I need to get the field names of a table to fill an HTML form select object. I'm using a SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE etc query to fill an HTML form select with the table names. Now I need to fill the field name select with the field names of the selected table.

Here is some code I used on a cross tab query make tbl, that made a wet table from data I just Imported, The table def had to be updated because I never new what data they were going to throw at me. So I wrote the following function and pass it the wet tbl and appended fields to the working tbl.

Function MyAddDef1(MyTableStr1 As String, MyTableStr2 As String)
Dim db As Database
Dim tdf1 As TableDef
Dim tdf2 As TableDef
Dim fld1 As Field
Dim fld2 As Field
Dim MyStr1 As String
Dim MyStr2 As String
Dim MyNewFieldDef As String
Dim MyStr4 As String
Dim flde As Boolean
Dim flde1 As Boolean

flde = True
flde1 = True

Set db = CurrentDb
Set tdf1 = db.TableDefs(MyTableStr2) 'wet
Set tdf2 = db.TableDefs(MyTableStr1)
For Each fld1 In tdf1.Fields
MyStr4 = fld1.Name
MyNewFieldDef = fld1.Name 'fld not found
If flde Then
For Each fld2 In tdf2.Fields
MyStr2 = fld2.Name
If MyStr2 = MyStr4 And flde Then
flde1 = False
flde = False
End If
Next fld2
End If 'If flde Then
If flde Then MyAddDef2 MyTableStr1, MyNewFieldDef
flde = True
Next fld1
Set db = Nothing
End Function

Private Function MyAddDef2(MyTableStr1 As String, MyNewFieldDef As String)
Dim db As Database
Dim tdf As TableDef
Dim fld As Field

Set db = CurrentDb
Set tdf = db.TableDefs(MyTableStr1)
Set fld = tdf.CreateField(MyNewFieldDef)
fld.Type = dbText
fld.Size = 30
fld.Required = False
fld.DefaultValue = "0"
tdf.Fields.Append fld
tdf.Fields.Refresh
Set db = Nothing
End Function

Thank you for the additional responses. The heitml product looks interesting, but my employer is committed to ColdFusion. However, based on the heitml information, I think I see a way I can do what I want in ColdFusion code. The Access code from Mike looks good too, but I don't how to integrate that with ColdFusion. What is now patently clear to me is that there is no simple query to get column names in Access. I appreciate everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back