Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query to Break Table Data down into more fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmythg

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
I have a table that has data i want to parse out part of for a separate column in the query.

THE LINE READS;
[COLOR=red yellow]IPSec ESP Tunnel Inb: Packet authentication failed username: xxxxxx\xxxxxx SPI: ttttttt. Dump of failed hash follows.[/color]

I WROTE;
[blue]IIf(InStr([Detail1],"authentication failed"),Right([Detail1],InStr(1,[Detail1],"Username: ")*1))[/blue]

Results;
[COLOR=red yellow]xxxxxx\xxxxxx SPI: ttttttt. Dump of failed hash follows.[/color]

I ONLY WANT;
[COLOR=red yellow]xxxxxx\xxxxxx[/color]

I TRIED;
[blue]IIf(InStr([Detail1],"authentication failed"),Right([Detail1],InStr(1,[Detail1],"Username: ")*1))-InStr(Right([Detail1],Len([Detail1])-InStr([Detail1],"S"))*1)[/blue]

But it takes an error.

Let me say thank you in advance for your help.

try

IIf(InStr([Detail1],"authentication failed"),
mid([Detail1],InStr(1,[Detail1],"Username: ")+1,99)
,"")

Thanks but i don't hink i explained in right i only wnat the information about the user and want to cut off every thing after likeSPI: ttttttt. Dump of failed hash follows.

Trim(Mid([Detail1],InStr([Detail1],"Username: ")+9,InStr([Detail1],"SPI")-InStr([Detail1],"Username: ")-9))

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

my error, i should have shown more data every line has the exact same data but because user names are different the number of characters will be different. I want it to stop when it sees "spi" i have done this before but for the life of me i am getting so forgetful i am going to loose my way home some nite.
Thanks again for your time.

Code:
Mid(Left(Detail1,InStr(Detail1,"  SPI: ")-1),InStr(Detail1,"username:")+10)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

You guys are a great bunch!!! thanks for your help. I will be sure to save my code this time so I will remember how to do it in the future.

Thanks Roxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back