Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Select Field as String

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidar13

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2001
US
Is it possible to incorporate a field lookup in a SQL select statement?

What I'm trying to do is have a select query return the results from a field name that is specified in a form.
To make matters slightly more complicated, I'm only looking up the last digit (number) for the fieldname:

So, to return the value of ItemType1 or ItemType2 or ItemType3 (all fields in my table), I want to create a select statement that concantenates the known "ItemType" with the 1, 2 or 3 specified in my form field

So, I would think you could use "

ValueField: "[ItemType" & [forms]![formname]![numberfield] & "]"

But, of course, this just returns the value "ItemType2", "ItemType3", etc, instead of the actual field's contents.

If I omit the quotes, Access auto-place the brackets around ItemType and thinks that's the field I'm after.

Is there a way to overcome this?

use

Code:
"[" & ItemType & [forms]![formname]![numberfield] & "]"

HTH,

Shri

If [forms]![formname]![numberfield] is 2 then with your syntax, it's returning:

[2]

Apparently ignoring the ItemType and assuming it is a field itself. What I want the select statement to yield is

ValueField: [ItemType2]

Where, the form's field value is assertained as being 2

"[ItemType" & [forms]![formname]![numberfield] & "]"
would this work?

That's exactly what I tried in the first place (see initial post above). It just returns the name of the field, not the value of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back