Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheilman

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have a query, that pops up a window that ask you to scan a bar code. After you scan the bar code the number appears in the box and then I have to press the enter button, manually to proceed. What I want to do is scan the barcode and it automatically enters this number without someone pressing the enter key. Is this possible?

How will the computer know you're finished scanning? Is there a button on the wand or something? (don't know barcode scanning details).

Think of what you're asking the computer to do - SENSE when the scan process is done without any other user-generated interrupt such as a key press or a mouse click.

If you really want this to happen, you'll need to run a small electrode from just below and to the right of your cerebral cortex and connect it to the CPU's onboard interrupt handler . . .

Jim

How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand...
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

I would suggest using a timer function that waits a certain amount of time then checks the contents of the box to see if there is anything there. (Most barcodes have a set number of digits so you could set it to check and see if it has that specific number or any data entered before proceeding).

If it finds the data is entered, it can continue - if not, it could either wait and repeat the action again after a certain amount of time or prompt the user.

Unfortunately, though I have read on timer events, I have not ever used them so I can not give you specifics on how to use them (maybe another user can) but maybe this can give you a stepping stone to a solution.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to know how you get this to work.

Something to think about.

L. [ponder] "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
-Nathaniel Borenstein

Typically the wand can be programmed to send a carriage return after a scan. You might review the wand's instruction manual.

I did try to re-program the wand but this didnt work.

I seem to remember (it has been some years) that a barcode reader can be programed to send an EOF character afer sending the barcode information. If this is true, sending a tab or CR would prompt Access to continue just as if you depressed the enter (CR) key.

I have a project coming up where a I need to scan barcoded information into Access. I would be interested in how the barcode reader interfaced with the PC as well as the query that takes in the barcode info (or did you use a form?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back