Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have a query that returns several items. It works fine except for one thing. One of the tables is called Accounts_payable_master_T and one is called AP_transaction_T. I take the Orig_balance field from the Accounts_payable_master_T and then I sum the payments found in the AP_transaction_T.Entry_amount as PAYMENTS and then I subtract those to find the Remaining balance as REMAINING. If there are no entries in the AP_transaction_T then I get nothing. As long as one entry exists, it returns the data. I believe I need to tell it if the sum is null to return zero but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shannan

SELECT Vendor_T.V_name, Vendor_T.V_number, Accounts_payable_master_T.Date_entered, Accounts_payable_master_T.Orig_balance, Accounts_payable_master_T.Due_date, Accounts_payable_master_T.Comments, Accounts_payable_master_T.Account_num, Accounts_payable_master_T.Entry_id, Sum(AP_transaction_T.Entry_amount) AS PAYMENTS, Orig_balance - Sum(AP_transaction_T.Entry_amount) as REMAINING FROM (Vendor_T INNER JOIN Accounts_payable_master_T ON Vendor_T.Entry_id = Accounts_payable_master_T.Vendor_id) INNER JOIN AP_transaction_T ON Accounts_payable_master_T.Entry_id = AP_transaction_T.AP_id WHERE [Accounts_payable_master_T].[Account_status] = 'O' GROUP BY Vendor_T.V_name, Vendor_T.V_number, Accounts_payable_master_T.Date_entered, Accounts_payable_master_T.Orig_balance, Accounts_payable_master_T.Due_date, Accounts_payable_master_T.Comments, Accounts_payable_master_T.Account_num, Accounts_payable_master_T.Entry_id ORDER BY Vendor_T.V_name

Try using Left Outer Joins, and display 0 if the sum is null.

You need to left outer join the table that can contains no rows sometimes and then use COALESCE or ISNULL to make the value zero if it's null.

Something like:

SELECT ...., Orig_balance - Sum(ISNULL(AP_transaction_T.Entry_amount,0)) as REMAINING
FROM (Vendor_T
INNER JOIN Accounts_payable_master_T ON Vendor_T.Entry_id = Accounts_payable_master_T.Vendor_id)
LEFT OUTER JOIN AP_transaction_T ON Accounts_payable_master_T.Entry_id = AP_transaction_T.AP_id
WHERE ...
GROUP ...

That worked greate. Thanks guys for the help.

Shannan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back