Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Performance w/Access97- SQL7 vs SQL2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcentore

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
US
My firm recently migrated from Pervasive SQL7 to 2000. Some of our user use Access 97 to run ad-hoc queries against the DB. With SQL 7 we were using the DataDirect(Merant) v.3.5 ODBC driver. With 2000 we are using the Pervasive 32-bit Client Interface. A query that would take 5 minutes against SQL 7 now runs forever against 2000. The query and the tables haven't changed at all. The query in question contains 5 tables and several left joins. When changed to all inner joins it works just fine, but obviously we don't get the result we're looking for. Any ideas??

mcentore:

I too have noticed this problem, but my company was moving from a Btrieve system (Great Plains Accounting) to a Pervasive.SQL 2000 system (Great Plains Dynamics). We were using Access 2000 to do ad-hoc queries and reports. In the Btrieve system, we were using the Intersolv(???) (Now Merant/DataDirect) ODBC driver (an older one, I don't remember the version). In the Pervasive.SQL 2000 system, we are also the Pervasive Client ODBC interface. We have noticed that the Pervasive Client interface was *much* slower than the Intersolv driver. We also downloaded a later DataDirect ODBC driver for evaluation and have found that it would work faster than the Pervasive Client Interface. Not only would the DataDirect ODBC driver be faster, it would respond quicker, and take up less CPU resources.

In other words, the Pervasive Client/Engine system seems to be very inefficient as compared to the Merant driver. Test it out on your system (Use the Datadirect 3.50 drivers, they should work), and you should find the same results.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Thanks for the tip. We downloaded the DataDirect ODBC Connect 4.1 driver and it worked fine right away. I told the Pervasive tech support people about it, but since we're using Access to run the query they said they couldn't help. You'd think they'd test out their own driver with a product as common as Access, but.... we get what you pay for! Thanks again

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back