Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query or Report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seekinganswers

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
I need to show who made honor roll. Seems simple right? So where do I put the criteria which is >="B" AND no "F". I've tried queries and report footers without success.

Layout as follows:
GradesTbl
ID
Name
Course
Teacher
Grade MP1

Each student has at least four grades, most have more. When I try using a report footer only the first grade is examined suggesting I need an array? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

The first thing that I would think you need to do is assign a number to each letter - I would create a table with two fields "grademp1" and "gradevalue"

I would then enter
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
etc

I would then creat a query using your gradestbl and the table that I would add, link it in the query by the grademp1 field. I would add teh gradevalue to the query and say <=2 .... I am a little confused about the &quot;F&quot; though - and also, don't you want to average all grades before you apply the criteria?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried this earlier by updating all the letter grades to number grades, and didn't get the results I want. This data was downloaded from a Web site as comma quote delimited text and imported into Access, so it is what it is. A student can have anywhere from 4 to 6 records that each hold a grade, I need to have the report look at each grade for that student and only those that have all A's and B's qualify for Honor Roll. So, if a student has an 3 &quot;A's&quot; and 2 &quot;B's&quot; they qualify. If they have any other grade all of their grades should be excluded from the report and/or query.

This may be a bit roundabout, but I think it may work. Just query all records with an 'F','D', or 'C'for the grade. Then run an UNMATCHED query between that, and all the records. This gives you a list of all grades by students that did not make a C,D, or F. Then run DISTINCT on that. And you have only the list of those students.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks! That worked. Sorry I'm getting back to you so late. I got sidetracked.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back