Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Not Reading Memo Field??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJman

Technical User
May 8, 2003
IN
I changed a text field in a table to a memo field to allow as much space as needed to store text, however, now a query that was selecting that field only displays two characters (that I can't reproduce here). I use the query to do a mail merge, and now the mail merge displays things like ?', ?X, "X, 6X, $X, %X, &X, 9X, *X, +X, 0X, -X, /X, OX, 1X, etc for that field instead of the actual text. I changed the field back to a text field temporarily and everything works fine again. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Oops! Forgot to post the SQL...

SELECT A.Primary_Unusable_id AS PrimaryID, B1.Unusable_description AS Primary_Desc, A.Secondary_Unusable_id AS SecondaryID, B2.Unusable_description AS Secondary_Desc, A.Unusable_date, A.Child_Key, A.Child_name, A.Additional_Comments, db_country.SPM_name
FROM ((tblUnusables AS A LEFT JOIN tblUnusableDefn AS B1 ON A.Primary_Unusable_id = B1.Unusable_id) LEFT JOIN tblUnusableDefn AS B2 ON A.Secondary_Unusable_id = B2.Unusable_id) INNER JOIN db_country ON LEFT(A.Child_Key,2) = db_country.country_code
WHERE (((B1.Unusable_type)="nch"))
GROUP BY A.Primary_Unusable_id, B1.Unusable_description, A.Secondary_Unusable_id, B2.Unusable_description, A.Unusable_date, A.Child_Key, A.Child_name, A.Additional_Comments, db_country.SPM_name
HAVING (((A.Unusable_date)=(select max(unusable_date) from tblUnusables)))
ORDER BY A.child_key;

How are ya JJman . . . .

I'm surprised you didn't say the origional textbox was gone and some new [blue]Expression =[/blue] showed up!

Anyway, in query deisgn mode, delete the old, and drag it back in from the table. This reinstates the field with the memo type. Should work.

cal.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I'm having the same problem. I removed it from the query and replaced it after the format was changed, and still having the problem. Any other ideas?

Just a side note to say I haven't actually had time to try it yet. I temporarily changed it back to a text field. Hopefully TheAceMan (or someone.... anyone!) will come to our rescue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back