Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosmokramer

Programmer
Sep 8, 2002
US
I have a table that has actions listed for each company, and since a company can have multiple actions, the company name is listed multiple times. These actions all have different dates as well.

I want to create a recordset that will pull out the latest date for each of the companies. If I limit the query to one company, it is very easy to pull out the max date just by saying MAX(date), but I want this for each company. It almost seems like I need a loop that would go through each company and evaluate the max date for each company and then combine the results into one recordset.

All I have gotten it to do so far is to find the maximum date in the whole table, and then only show the companies for which this date matches.

Here's my query:
Code:
SELECT Actions.Contract, Actions.Date
FROM Actions
WHERE Actions.Contract IN (Select DISTINCT Actions.Contract FROM Actions) 
AND Actions.Date  IN (Select MAX(Actions.Date) FROM Actions);

Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work right?

You're almost there
[blue][tt]
SELECT A.Contract, A.[Date]

FROM Actions A

WHERE A.[Date] =

(Select MAX(X.[Date]) FROM Actions X
Where X.Contract = A.Contract);
[/tt][/blue]
I eliminated the
Actions.Contract IN (Select DISTINCT Actions.Contract FROM Actions)
because the "Contract" field will always contain one of the values in a list of all contracts.

Upon reflection ... even simpler is
[blue][tt]
SELECT A.Contract, Max(A.[Date]) As [MaxDate]

FROM Actions A

GROUP BY A.Contract
[/tt][/blue]

Alright, now you're just showing off! Just kidding. Thanks for your help

don't take it personally, he's always like that!

[rofl]

leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back