Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query in Pervasive Control Center 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solstorm

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
US
Is there a way to run a query to change all information for a column named EmployID from a mix of lowercase/uppercase to all uppercase in every table in a database that contains this column? Looking to do this all at one time.

Example:

I have about 30 tables that have EmployID as one of the columns and these have a mix of employee ID's that contain alpha/numeric characters. I want the alpha characters to be all uppercase.

AB123XxxxxxXX to be AB123XXXXXXXX.

If it can be done but only one table at a time what can I run to find out which tables have EmployID in them.

thanks in advance!!

Hi,

To set the field to be upper case you can use the ucase or upper function as below:

update employid set employid = upper(employid)

To find out which tables have emplyid in them you can use the X$Field table to select all fields named employid. The X$Field table also contains a xe$file field which contains the file id which can be used in the X$File table to look up the names of the files.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I found it very helpful but some of the tables I tried to change had this as a non modifiable key. Well it was worth a shot.

Storm

Maybe the thing to do there is to use BUTIl -SAVE to dump the file, create a new file, change the dumped data and then load them back into the new file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back