Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FledglingAnalyst

Technical User
Jan 5, 2012
US
I'm trying to create a query to display the number of records received, completed, and on hand for a specified range of dates (via a form). Counting the received and completed records is no problem, its the counting whats incomplete at the end of a given day that's giving me trouble.

Example if I received 5 records on 01/01/2012 and closed 3 records, End of Day Inventory would be 2 records for 01/01/2012. If I received 1 record 01/02/2012 and closed 0, end of day inventory for 01/02/2012 would be 3.

I have fields table.record_id, table.receipt_dt, table.complete_dt.

The output I'm looking for would be Date, Received Count, Completed Count, End of Day Inventory.

Is this possible via a query, or do i need to create a function to make a table that stores this data, then report off the new table?

Using Access 2003.

you called your table 'table'??? wow change that quickly to some else like tblTransactions

and yes a query(s) is the way to go.

Query1 Names have been changed

Code:
SELECT tblTransactions.receipt_dt, Count(tblTransactions.receipt_dt) AS CountOfreceipt_dt, Count(tblTransactions.complete_dt) AS CountOfcomplete_dt
FROM tblTransactions
GROUP BY tblTransactions.receipt_dt
WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;

query2

Code:
SELECT Query1.receipt_dt, Query1.CountOfreceipt_dt, Query1.CountOfcomplete_dt, [CountOfreceipt_dt]-[CountOfcomplete_dt] AS Summary
FROM Query1
WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Thanks for the response MazeWorX. I changed the table and field names to make it easier to explain.

[CountOfreceipt_dt]-[CountOfcomplete_dt] will not give me the open inventory for a given day, as it does not take into account anything left over from the previous date.

"Example if I received 5 records on 01/01/2012 and closed 3 records, End of Day Inventory would be 2 records for 01/01/2012. If I received 1 record 01/02/2012 and closed 0, end of day inventory for 01/02/2012 would be 3."

Using the SQL you provided would only give me the incomplete records for a given day, wouldn't tell me what's left over from a range of dates, which is what I need.

ok so you want a running total or a summary total?

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

summary total:
note: apply your date range to query1
Code:
SELECT Sum(Query1.CountOfreceipt_dt) AS SumOfCountOfreceipt_dt, Sum(Query1.CountOfcomplete_dt) AS SumOfCountOfcomplete_dt, Sum([CountOfreceipt_dt]-[CountOfcomplete_dt]) AS Summary
FROM Query1
WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;

a running sum can be achieved in a reports properties

So if he wants a running sum he creates a report based on query1 and query2 and on the Summary field he sets the Running Sum property to: Over All or if he wants a total outstanding for the date range he uses query1 and the newer version of 2. Whats easier than that? [3eyes]

Create a table of all dates with values for every possible date. Use Excel or whatever.
[tt][blue]
tblDates
================
[TheDate] Date
[/blue][/tt]
Then create a query with the SQL of:
Code:
SELECT tblDates.TheDate, Count(tblFledgling.Record_ID) AS CountOfRecord_ID
FROM tblDates, tblFledgling
WHERE (((tblDates.TheDate) Between [Receipt_dt] And Nz([Complete_Dt],#12/31/2022#)))
GROUP BY tblDates.TheDate;

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

The table that would make sense to me would be:
[tt]
MyTable
record_ID Received (Date) Complete (Date)
1 01/01/2012 01/01/2012
2 01/01/2012 01/01/2012
3 01/01/2012 01/01/2012
4 01/01/2012 <NULL>
5 01/01/2012 <NULL>
6 01/02/2012 <NULL>
[/tt]
You can do whatever you want with this table.

Have fun.

---- Andy

I show only a part of a table, for every record there would be more fields, but there are 2 fields with dates for when the order was Received and when Completed. Counting the (not completed) records is a simple task.

FledglingAnalyst mentioned in one of the posts: "I changed the table and field names to make it easier to explain." but I stil can not see a sample of how the table looks like, so MyTable would be my version of it.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Actually Andrzejek could use my 2 queries on MyTable :)

Duane
My post above was in haste.

“So if he wants a running sum he creates a report based on query1 and query2 and on the Summary field he sets the Running Sum property to: Over All or if he wants a total outstanding for the date range he uses query1 and the newer version of 2. Whats easier than that?”

I should know there is always more than one way to resolve an issue within Access and forcing my solution as I did was inappropriate. My apologies to you for my hasty response

Regards

MaZeWorX

The missing piece to much of the trial and error queries I had already written was the variable date. Creating a table with a list of dates solved that problem for me. Thanks dhookom.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here is what I ended up using. Total of 3 queries. Third query just joins the first two and displays the data. I use IIf statements and sum to count multiple fields in a single query. I'm sure there is a better way to do that.

Qry1

Code:
SELECT s_dates.Date, Sum(IIf([dt_closed]=[Date],1,0)) AS Closed, Sum(IIf([dt_loc_receipt]=[Date],1,0)) AS Received
FROM f_case, s_dates
GROUP BY s_dates.Date
HAVING (((s_dates.Date)<=Date()));

Qry2

Code:
SELECT s_dates.Date, Count(f_case.sys_case_id) AS CountOfsys_case_id
FROM s_dates, f_case
WHERE (((s_dates.Date)>=[dt_loc_receipt] And (s_dates.Date)<=[dt_closed]) AND ((f_case.dt_closed)=#12/31/1864#))
GROUP BY s_dates.Date
HAVING (((s_dates.Date)<=Date()));

It think you could get the numbers with:
Code:
SELECT s_Dates.TheDate,
 Count(f_Case.Record_ID) AS OnHand,
 Sum(Abs(TheDate = Receipt_Dt)) as Received,
 Sum(Abs(TheDate = Complete_Dt)) as Completed
FROM s_Dates, f_Case
WHERE s_Dates.TheDate Between [Receipt_dt] And Nz([Complete_Dt],#12/31/2022#)))
GROUP BY s_Dates.TheDate;
You really shouldn't name a field the same as a function name.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

dhookom,

Thanks for the awesome suggestion to use Sum(Abs. I didn't even know that function worked for date fields. I've used so many Sum(IIf functions. This will really help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back