Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

query help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hougaard

ISP
Apr 8, 2008
DK
Does anybody know if the following is possible.

By mistake we have uninstalled a programme on several pc's with sms. we have managed to rebuild everything again, but not all. I would like a query that can find a .exe file in the windows/system32 directory but another .exe file should not be in the programme folder. In that way i could find pc's that have had the programme installed before, but the programme is now gone, as this .exe file is no longer in the programme folder.
make any sence??

Can you just run the standard report to see what machines have the first.exe in system32 (indicating the program has been there onec upon a time), export to excel, run again to see where second.exe is currently, export to excel. Use excel to 'subtract' the second list from the first (pivot table). This will leave you with who still needs it re-installed. Put them in a collection, and target away.

There is probably a way to write this right into a dynamic query-based collection, but that's not my skillset, I would grind it out as mentioned above....

David J.

Hello Jerz.
Thanks for your answer. This I have done, but it leaves me with several hundreds of pc's which I need to manually type into a collection, I will do this as a last solution, but I hope someone knows a way to do it directly in sms.

You can run a query for all the systems who have it installed the exe being a criteria. Then create a sub selected query of all systems not in the first query. That should return all the systems that got the application removed.

Hope I understood the problem correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back