Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query for summary report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durdles

MIS
Dec 31, 2002
US
I have a rather small and straight forward database that we use to track Employee Asset. It contains a single Employee database and branching from that are smaller tables that track items like laptops, cell phones, keys, uniforms, etc. There are a total of 5 tables that are linked to the employee table in one to many relationships.

I would like to create a report by selecting an employee from the employee table and get a list of all the computers, phones, uniforms, keys, etc that they have.

What is the best way to do this? Can I make one big query to do this? I wish I could be more specific, but I am really at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The most effective way that I have found to do this is to produce the basics of the report from the main employee table (in a query format) and then to make subreports for each of the other tables.
You can set the size of each subreport so that if there is nothing to report then no entry is evident in the report but if there are lots to report then the subreport will size itself to suit.

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

Frank,

Wonderful idea!! I love it. By some chance would you know how I would create a form where I can use a combo box to select an employee and then click a button to bring up that report for that particular employee?? If not, I will simply start a new thread.

Thanks again. That works perfect...and it's much easier than a massive query.

Brian

There are lots of examples of this type of form in some of the prebuilt applications that are avaiable throughout the web in general. I have samples pre built that you can have if you drop me an email.

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back