Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query designer changes field name

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteJohnston

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I've got an Access front end that links to a Sharepoint back end. In the table one of the fields is called

[Requestor / Contact] - Note the spaces

When I use query designer to select this field and run it from within query designer it shows Okay. When I save the query it changes it to

[Requestor/Contact] - NO SPACES!!!

Then when I run it it fails because it is looking for the field without the spaces which doesn't exist. If you look at the query in SQL view it has dropped the spaces.

Any ideas? I wasn't in control of the Sharepoint setup and don't have authority to change anything so I can't fix it by changing the name.

PeteJ
(Contract Code-monkey)

It's amazing how many ways there are to skin a cat
(apologies to the veggies)

I just added a column to a linked sharepoint list and named it [Requestor / Contact]. I created and saved a query with the new column and didn't experience any issues.

Do you have any autocorrect settings turned on or any spelling correction functionality that might be changing the column name?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks Duane, that seems to have worked.

I change the AutoCorrect options on the back end as a performance aid but I don't usually bother to change the front end. It's strange that it should "correct" a field name to an incorrect name when it was correct in the first place.

PeteJ
(Contract Code-monkey)

It's amazing how many ways there are to skin a cat
(apologies to the veggies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back