Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query and total payment field based on date field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleOB

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
I am working on a database for an organization that wants to track contacts & donations for each contact. I have a form for donations with a subform that displays Donation Amount, Date, Payment Method etc. for the current contact I would like to display on the main form the total donations for the current year. Also, I would like to do a report to display all contacts who have donated more than X dollars within a specific year.

Thank you!

On the first part you can create an unbound text box that uses the DSum function as a ControlSource. Here you can filter the year. If you are not familiar with the DSum function as a ControlSource, let us know your table name and the fields in question and we can write the statement.

On the second issue it's just a matter of creating a select query that picks records that have a dollar amount greater than X. To get the current year put the following in the criteria section for the Year in question...
Like "*" & Format(Now(),"yyyy")

Hope some of this helps.

prodevmg@yahoo.com
ProDev, MS Access Applications B-)
May God bless you in the year 2002.

Lonnie - thanks so much. I am familiar with the DSum function enough to select the field (PaymentAmount) from my table [tblDonations] - however it's the criteria part that I'm having a hard time with now. First - how do I apply the filter for the year - is this part of the DSum statement? And I also want to enter criteria so that it will total only the donations for the current contact (identified by [MemberID]) which is on the current form and in the table [tblDonations].

Thanks!

DSum ("PaymentAmount","tblDonations","MemberID = '" &
Me!MemberID & "' And MyDateField Like '*' &
Format(Now(),"yyyy"))"

If your MemberID is a numeric field you will need to remove the apostrophe around this part...

"MemberID = " & Me!MemberID & " And...

Hope this helps.
prodevmg@yahoo.com
ProDev, MS Access Applications B-)
May God bless you in the year 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back