Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Analyzer - Timeout when run from the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiriusBlackOp

Programmer
Oct 20, 2006
Question:

Why would the Query Analyzer with a given correct set of SQL Server Authentication connection settings work when run from my client pc, but Fail when I open Query Analyzer from a network location.

---------------------------------------------------
Examples:
Open Query Analyzer from my start menu and populate the SQL Server Authentication Settings against a SQL server on my network. -- This Works.

Open Query Analyzer from a network location (say a given neighboring PC on the same network) and populate the SQL Server Authentication Settings against a SQL server on my network. -- This Fails.

Open Query Analyzer from my start menu and use Windows Authentication against a SQL server on my network. -- This Works.

Open Query Analyzer from a network location (say a given neighboring PC on the same network) and use Windows Authentication Settings against a SQL server on my network. -- This Fails.
--------------------------------------------------

Any Ideas Why this wouldn't connect in all four cases?

Senior Software Developer

I assume SQL 2005 perhaps - you probably need to enable remote connections - its switched off by default.

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

There is going to probably be a firewall on the users machine (could be a network firewall as well) which is preventing the network connection.

This FAQ faq962-5481 may be of some assistance.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back