Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuarkXPress 6.0: A Safe Upgrade in Dangerous Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Quark 5 and the only real problem I had with it was that it wasn't OS X so this is fantastic. Granted, the above article did point out some of it's problems but they are no different than in 5 and I've already developed workarounds for most of them so...

Thanks for that link as it was very good info!

Great article! This information is very significant. Anyone with a laptop or home machine will need to purchase two versions of Quark 6.

"...but if you purchase the product today, be clear that you will not be able to run your software on more than one machine until, or if, Quark revises its practice."

Well it seems that Quark is working on this problem also. For users who need to work at home and office with a single user license will be happy abt this. I came to know this information from a different forums website.

Rosscage said: I came to know this information from a different forums website

Ah - so this is official then? [bigsmile]

Perhaps that was on adobe.com's forums since Quark mysteriously took theirs down.

I would not count on such a claim unless you get it from Quark in writing. Sure it would be nice if this comes to be true - - but at present, you can only purchase one-computer licenses for Q6. I would not purchase the software with the expectation of anything more.

- - picklefish - -

Macfixit.com reports ...

A Quark technical support representative writes: "Quark is in the process of setting up a special program for users who want to use QuarkXPress on both their desktop and laptop computers. The program will have additional fees and services to accommodate such users. If you are interested in participating in this program, please provide the following information so we can contact you when program details are determined (within 90 days): "

notice the "additional fees" part

This kind of near-sightedness will be Quark's undoing. It seems crazy to evaluate licensing programs AFTER you release an application. Quark seems so unsure of itself that it needs to research how many would be interested in variant licensing. It may also need the time to re-write the code that prevents installation on more than one computer.

I'm a fan of InDesign but I do not want to see Quark shoot itself in the foot with Q6. We need layout app competition to keep up quality. Quark is slowly sliding into obsolescence with its sluggish Q6 and careless licensing.

- - picklefish - -

I contacted Quark UK with this question:

I am in the process of upgrading from OS9 to OSX, and wish to purchase 3 Quark upgrades. However, I am also expecting to upgrade from G4's to G5's in the coming months. How can I re-install Quark 6 if the company only allows one registration per user?

I don't have a copy of his exact reply as I'm sending this from home, but he said something to the effect:

All you need to do is contact Quark when re-installing your software and they will release your serial number for re-regisitering.

Strange solution - a bit impractical though.

Great write up, I personaly will be pushing towards Indesign. But it will come down to ALL the designers out there and wish program they choose!!

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back