Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuarkXpress 5 "Underlines" are broken up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAMArtist

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
When I print a document created in QuarkXpress 4.11 in QuarkXpress 5.01 the underlines under the text break up on certain letters.

If I print the same document in QuarkXpress 4.11 the underlines are not broken up between letters.

I also noticed if you ZOOM in at the max percentage you can see the underlines broken up on the screen in QuarkXpress 5.01.

The font that I am underling is a Type 1. I did substitute a different font in it's place and the broken underlines go away; unfortunately we need to use this font, because it is part of our corporate image.

We bought QuarkXpress 5.01 to update our machines, and we are soon going to purchase QuarkXpress 6.0, but we can't even think of doing that until the issue with QuarkXpress 5.01 is resolved.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

RM

Is there any chance that your H&Js are different between the two versions? If default letter spacing varies, the underscores would probably be a little separated, especially if you use Quark defaults instead of document settings when you open the document.

For my taste, Quark's defaults are entirely too open. I routinely tighten my letter and word spacing defaults, so I haven't run into this particular underline issue. But then, I also rarely use underline style in my publishing work...

George

I can't imagine that if you altered the H&J table that it would make any difference at all.

Sounds like it could be a font problem.

Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back