Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark to PDF conversion problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanujm

MIS
Mar 20, 2003
AU
Hi.

I work in a Publishing area and we have been having a problem with converting Quark Files to PDF's. We use Adobe Distiller to convert the PS files to PDF.

When Distiller converts the file - it is coming up with "Waring - Could not embed Helvetica - Font Substitute used".

The problem is that the above mentioned font is present in the fonts folder. This problem occurs sometimes - like 6 out of 10 times - and I cant understand the reason for it.

The working environ is Mac G3 with OS9, Adobe Distiller Version 4 and Quark Express.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Tanuj

I get the same message using PageMaker and I wasn't using Helvetica in my document. I just tell Distiller to ignore the warning and continue. It seemed to work.

I use 55 Helvetica Roman instead of straight Helvetica and choose "Binary" and "Include All Fonts" when printing a postscript file in Quark.

To: strutu (TechnicalUser)

Your suggestion is like saying if your legs hurt - cut them off.

As I mentioned, I am in a Publishing area and anyone who is familiar with publishing industry know that design & format consistency is non-negotiable.

Dear Tanujm,

Sorry for my "very stupid answer", it was a last minute job... You are absolutely right about Publishing jobs.
When I said to not use this font enimore I mean that: I have tones of problems with this font in Quark, Illustrator, Corel, PageMaker etc documents. After a lots of this kind of problem, I decided to not use this font. After all, is many other fonts alike...

Onse more, sorry for my first answer...

Dear Strutu,

Thanks for your message :)

I have managed to get around to this problem by using Arial in Quark - but the Distiller now distills Helvetica even though in Quark its Arial - don't know how and why this is happening - but it works!!

If - when you print to PDF - the Distiller said that you use Helvetica, try to check your Quark document's fonts (F2). You probebely forget to replace some blank character or something like that.
If you press F2 ket and in the Font usage window you find Helvetica font, press "SHOW FIRST" then "SHOW NEXT" so you can find that font and REPLACE MANUALY. Do not use REPLACE FONT option, your layout can get carzy if you have large strings of Helvetica blank characters.

Ok, helevtica is used on the top of the page for the file name, next to the trim marks.
You could install helvetica onto the computer that is running distiller and distiller to always embedded the font. Did it myself and don't get the error message any more.

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back