Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark pagination query ... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGS2003

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
GB
My students are producing a booklet using QuarkXpress Passport 4.1 for their end of year show, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the pages need to be laid out for printing in booklet form?

I know that chosing "spreads" in the printing options allows double pages to be printed together, but is there some way of getting Quark to output BOOKLET spreads from layout spreads ... [groping for words] ... each student has 2 double page spreads, across which they want to run images. If we lay these out in Quark on double pages we can just run the images straight across, but when this is sent to print the pages will be in the wrong order. The correct PRINT order should be outside back page & outside front page, inside front page & inside back page, student1 page1 & student10 page4, etc., but this means cutting images in half, and that's going to get REAL messy.

So ... does anyone know if Quark can paginate booklets for print from double-page spreads?

Thanks.

Sorry, Quark does not have a pagination feature. Unless you have imposition sofware (sounds like not) you will have to manually create the booklet. For printer spreads on an 8 page book you will lay out as pages 8/1, 2/7, 6/3, 4/5

If you have images running across spreads you should lay the document out as whole sheets instead of using Quarks "spreads" feature. 11x17 instead of two 8.5x11's

You will have to break your images in half and place them twice. Make note of the coordinates in your measurements palette, crop the image to the center line on the first page, then place the uncropped image in same spot on corresponding page and crop the other side to center.

Thanks Ryan ... I'm wondering would the printer (as in the place to which we are sending the booklet to be printed, not the thing that's sitting in the corner of the room!) have imposition software? If we sent them spreads, would they be able to use the software to correctly paginate the booklet?

I am sure different imposition sofware packages have different features. I would ask the printer. They can tell you what their capabilities are and how they would like to receive the files.

This will give you a heads up as to what you need to submit, and how much effort you need to spend on the front end.

Thanks for your help ... I contacted the printer, armed with informed questions about imposition software, and was able to establish a format for submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back