Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark eps problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamoo

Technical User
Oct 5, 2007
GB
Hi folks...

In my work, I have to create eps's of Quark jobs for importing into Quark 6 on another system network. I have checked the trapping settings in Quark 7 which are fine, yet when I import into Quark 6 and try to print to a platesetter, the black is always dropping out of it's background image or colour, when I really want it to overprint. In the Quark 6, I even check the 'overprint black in eps' box, but it makes no difference! I'm thinking that I'm maybes doing something wrong when creating the eps and selecting the various options in Quark 7's 'save page to eps'. Could someone please run through this problem and give me the best 'option' settings when creating the eps. I choose 'composite cmyk' for the colours option, as the jobs are process colour. Could it be a 'postscript' problem also?... I tried selecting 2 and 3.

Also, I tried exporting the pages to 'pdf' but the black text, although not dropping out from background, was printing out of all the process colours! Help with that also appreciated. phew! that should cover a days work for some helpful soul. muchos thanks in advance of your assistance.

tamoo

When you make PDF you sould always make a Postscript file first.

File>Print

Otherwise check you Export settings, make sure they are correct to what you want because it reads like you are using the default settings

Also, why cant you simly backsave you Quark 7 job to Quak 6 then you should be able to open it in Quark 6 and therefore not have to go through that whole eps mess...

Marcus

Thanks for the input Marcus.

I note what you say.

I tried the export to pdf first, because that is what it's there for isn't it? otherwise why have it? I do know how to process a postscript file through distiller, but I thought that's what the export to pdf feature was doing from within Quark, hence the options choice.

As for saving back to Quark 6 from 7. Of course I've thought of doing that, but if, as in this case, my job had Quark 7 specific feature-use, it is a no go. The only way to hold the job exactly as it stands in 7, is to eps or pdf and take that into 6.

It's also easier just to hand off a single file to my colleague for him to process to plate.

I'll persevere with a few options, including your suggestions and hopefully get a result.

On a more light hearted note, I counted 7 typo's in your reply........ I'd expect better from a typesetting house... lol

thanks again, tamoo

Yeah... "Isn't it ironic", as the song goes.

The thing is, I'm at work while type this so I am typing while I am thinking of an answer which will help you and because it's only a forum post, and I don't care about it, I employe people who can type better then I can.
I think they put that export feature there incase you didn't want to flatten your PDF.
I never use it, because when I have it's caused to many errors eg objects which were at the back were now at the front, Fonts dropping out etc...

I don't risk it...

Quark will only bring in Acrobat 4 files, sometimes Acrobat 5 if your lucky

Anyway, back to your problem...

Just to make sure and to cover the obvious, your type is actually black?
C=0, M=0, Y=0, K=100 and not C=100, M=100, Y=0, K=100

You have Black selected and not Registration?

When you save out to an EPS
Choose either CMYK or DeviceN
Level 3 Postscript
Binary

Can you open one of the EPS's in Illustraor to check the Type colour break down for the black

Can you make some screenshots of your settings and upload them to say Photobucket then post them from there to here using the
code

So we can see what you up against...

Marcus

Hi Tamoo
Why would you open a PDF document in Quark?
I typeset a postcard size four up church obit in Quark 6.52 on an Intel iMac and just export it as a PDF and email it to the printer, who is on a PC and doesn't have Quark. The printer opens it in either Acrobat or Reader and prints from there.
I've noticed that if I print the actual Quark file and compare it to the PDF print I cannot see any difference in quality.
The only difference is the PDF might be off in overall size by 1 pt, but no one notices that.
IMacQuarkler

Hi guys: yes, I think I've found the way to go.

And yes, the inposition software is on the other Mac, so it's a must to get the files across.

We don't want to upgrade the inpo Mac's Quark, because of all the 6 specific extensions and add ons we have associated with it.

I've gone down the old chesnut of 'save page as eps', then distilling to high res pdf. That seems to have cracked it.
Pity about the 'export' function not being much good eh?

In any case........ your input was much appreciated. Much thanks again, and I hope we cross paths again soon (but not too soon!!!)

click, click

tamoo

Tamoo,

If you have Adobe Acrobat 6, 7, or 8 you not need to know about post script and Distiller. All you have to do is: creating document in Quark 7 go to File>Print and when you have print windows open choose for printer PDF and make sure to check "Leva color as is" and also uncheck "Do not send fonts". Save file whatever you want and distiller will do all for you. Afer you have PDF file it will be exactly as is originally created and will go to prepress with no problem. If you want that file open in Quark 6, drew picture box and have PDF file open. Tht's all. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back