Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 6: won't print some fonts to Apple Laserwriter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhet

Technical User
Mar 19, 2004
GB
I have an Apple Laserwriter to which I can successfully send print documents from Quark 5 including Postscript fonts activated through ATM Deluxe, in the Mac Classic environment.
In OSX10.3, the same fonts activated through Apple FontBook cause a printing error preventing the document from printing. Substituting these fonts with OS pre-installed fonts such as Helvetica allows the same document to print.
What is going on?

Seems to be Panther is v. picky. I've noticed a lot more damaged fonts on my macs since upgrading to Panther/ QX6.1/ Suitcase X1...

Apart from reinstalling these fonts (I presume they're not System fonts supplied) I have no idea. Check out what 3HANDS posted - 'picklefish what's up with my fonts' 3/19/04

To Bischerboy
I notice you're using Suicase X1 even though Panther contains FontBook.
Does it give better results?

To Bischerboy - Thanks
I notice you're using Suicase X1 even though Panther contains FontBook.
Does it give better results? The answers to picklefish's question seem to be yes and no!

Japhet,

opened up FontBook - curious to see what was going on, and it threw my fonts all over the place. Lost so much time upgrading (QX6 and OSX - the big leap from QX4 and OS8.6) recently I haven't had time to look at it proper. Might try and use it on one of the macs we don't touch much; will let you know how it goes -

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but OSX has supplied some OpenType format fonts (more than 255 characters) which are not necessarily well supported in all programs. It may also be that your Laserwriter isn't recognizing the format (because its software comes from an earlier era). Since you substituted the earlier font versions successfully, I am suspecting this might be a factor.

G

To GeorgeMack
That's an interesting suggestion. I have had much less trouble since I started using Suitcase X1 to handle fonts. I tend to stick to Postscript fonts as all my work has to go out to bureaux and they use the same versions for output to imagesetters. The Laserwriter accepts them OK.
I still have problems with so-called 'damaged' fonts which will often work in Classic but not OSX. The new system is certainly less tolerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back