Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 6 won't open Quark 5 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubgirl

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I'm running a brand sparkling new G5 with OSX. Our copy of Quark 6.0 won't open any older files. Even if I created the file in 6 and down-saved as 5; after I close and try to open, it still won't work. I get an unknown error code.

I've try completely uninstalling and reinstalling Quark twice. No luck.

Any ideas?

Was Quark 6 developed for G5? You may be waiting for the 6.1 update.

According to Quark marketing, Quark 6 should open any Quark document (not just 5). Can you post the error code? That's what those are for.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

oops, the G5 must be in my dreams... a brand new G4 running OSX (10.2.8), Quark is marketing 6.0 for this very operating system.

The error code is "unknown error [-9589]"

I've seen a few other people on related sites with the same problem. No one has a solution and reports Quark tech support seems to be useless so far.

I hoping someone, somewhere has figured this out. I have the same set up on two other machines and they are working fine opening older versions of Quark documents.

Can I post the answer my own question? if so, I found deep within another thread not specifically realated to my problem a suggestion from "LauraK" a while back:

The importing old QXP docs has a weird fix. Go to the Print Center and make a fake IP printer with the address 127.0.0.1 or something like that. Set it as your default printer and then the old QXP docs will open. It's weird but it works!

IT WORKS.[surprise]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back