Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 6 has lot's of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

algraph

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
US
I'm very disappointed in Quark 6 and there are no Quark sanctioned forums to express myself. Has anyone had these problems:
1. Only have one undo with the key commands but can have more with that bent arrow on the page bottom.
2. Converting text to box distorts the vector version of the type. Quark 5.1 is more faithful to the integrity of the shape of the letters.
3. You no longer can double click on a picture to open the publisher of that picture.
4. You can't change keyboard commands and some conflict. I can't believe Quark made this version for OS X+ and didn't know that Step & Repeat is the same key command as Open Dock and Close Dock. The operating system takes preference and so the the Dock opens and closes.

RE: #3... go to quark.com to get the XT update to allow image editing.

Quark was pretty quick to respond to the yells for this image edit update. They also may be quick in addressing the other issues. Regardless, it is depressing that Quark did not address this BEFORE they released their product.

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

At the moment we can't even get the validation codes from Quark to test the upgrades! I will feed back anything we discover to this thread.

Quark has always had some pretty stupid things in it but you just have to get around them and use the rest of the program which is pretty amazing. A few dumb things still can't outshine how well it preforms.

Yes, but the lack of Pantone colours for example in the first three months of Quark 4's life had direct operational issues for most professional users! I sense similar.

True but my point is only this: If that (mentioned in the starting post) is the limit of your problems with Quark 6, the n all in all it is a great program. With InDesign 2.0 you had to download a patch that would make the installer work properly so you just get the program on your system. That, in my opinion, qualifies as a problem. LOL

I use Quark professionally and most of the flaws I've found were not a problem in previous versions. These are the items I've found doing my first document in Quark 6. I can't rely on it and have gone back to Quark 5.1. I usually have deadlines and can't waste the time discovering, midstream, that a function does not work. They didn't make many new features, you'd think they would at least have the old ones working. You can't even report these things to Quark without wasting your precious "one question" without a charge. I Beta tested this product and did not come up with any of these mistakes then so, what happened?

Actually, the InDesign installer patch problem was related to installing the help files. It was a nuisance but not a killer problem. Although InDesign has had 2 patches, it ran right from the start over a year ago.

Although Q6 is out now, it will probably be a year before it is well-integrated in major workflows since many will be finally updating to OSX and waiting for more 3rd-party XT developers to get with the program.

No software is immune from growing pains.

- - picklefish - -

Can't even get a validation code for the upgrade as their database is down!

In defense of Quark, the step and repeat command was used by them long before OS X ever came out and screwed it up. It's been a year using OS X now and I still can't stop myself from using the shortcut !

I don't know how they did it but after a Quark tech wrote me back, all my problems disappeared! He even asked me to reproduce the text to box problem and it would not repeat itself. The command-option-D only opens the step and repeat. The undo, command-Z, works over and over. I don't know what happened and I don't want to think they somehow got into my Quark app and fixed it, but I dislike going on-line and getting a registration number to make a program work. That's a problem they have to address. People have more than one computer and they now have to buy a Quark update for each computer. It puts a financial strain on a small one man business such as my own.

The hot key issue may have come up if Quark lost focus and you were in the Finder.

Re: licensing... All high end applications are moving to the online registration/system locking method (even Adobe). The multiple-computer-for-a-single-user licensing issue is why InDesign looks so good compared to Quark.

- - picklefish - -

Want to use Quark at work and on your laptop while you're away?

Quark has apparently concocted this policy:

"Quark is in the process of setting up a special program for users who want to use QuarkXPress on both their desktop and laptop computers. The program will have additional fees and services to accommodate such users."

Yeah, fees. Bet it's more than $20!

For our Macs, I've already changed our orders from Quark to Adobe InDesign. Also, I heard Version 6 is buggy and support all but non-existent.

Quark 6's display seems much worse than version 5 to me, for anything angled on the screen. Maybe since I installed the OSX 10.2.8 update (I didn't notice the problem before, but I just did something with rotated text for the first time since I got version 6, so maybe it was bad all along). Any ideas, fixes?

I spoke to Quark a couple of weeks ago and wod is they're dropping the activation code nonsense. Don't know when though.

As of last week, if you wanted Quark 6 on another computer, it will cost an additional $75. I haven't got around to doing this yet. It would be nice if they dropped the code but I don't know how they can do this now. The V.6 I have won't let me install on another computer.

Apple has since recalled 10.2.8 update, to respond to tonyrap, because of many problems. If it's possible, can you go back to 10.2.6? Usually they don't let you go back in time.

From what I've read... it's best to reinstall your system.
Sorry.

BTW
Iomega caused me to have to do that due to their misinformation on their website!

Apparently "10.2 and higher" does not include 10.2.6 , when you buy the 750 ATI Zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back