Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 6.1 unexpecedly quits when exporting a pdf 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

429v8

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
US
Since upgrading to Quark 6.1, I can no longer export a pdf. With a project open I choose Export and try to create a PDF. Halfway through the process Quark crashes. My files are 20 to 40 page manuals with numerous eps files and text. The problem varies with the manual. Some pdf fine others won't at all. Anyone had this same problem? Any ideas as to what is happening.

Yes, same problem. One of two machines we're running 6.1 on is crashing whenever we export to pdf.

So far we've narrowed it down to some kind of a font problem. When we turn off Suitcase X1 it creates the pdf without problems. The other machine is successfuly creating pdfs using the same version of suitcase. I think it's a font that's causing Quark to crash.

In their infinite wisdom Quark decided to use their own PDF creation mechanism instead of Distiller, which was much more forgiving of fonts with small problems.

We're trying to track down the offending font, but I doubt that whatever font is causing us problems will be the same for you.

Good Luck,
jerry

While running 6.0 we had a problem with placed PDF's printing accurately. We upgraded to 6.1 hoping that would fix the problem. Now we can't print, import, or export a PDF from Quark without the application crashing. Some upgrade. We talked to Quark and they told us to remove the OPI extension and things should work. We did so except at every launch the extension gets reloaded and reactivated even if it has been deleted from the system. They didn't have any other ideas after that. Hopefully this might help someone.

Disabled Suitcase X1 and it appears to have solved the issue, however why do the pdf files not size correctly. For example a 9x12 Quark file created an 81/2 by 11 PDF file even when we select custom as the paper size.

Thank you all for your input! alphi, moving the OPI xtension from Quark's xtension folder to the xtension disabled folder did the trick for us. All of our machines are now able to make PDF's. We found that disabling OPI in the Options dialog box when exporting a PDF had the same affect.

Thank you. I'll download it immediately and cross my fingers. As of yesterday I finally discovered that Font Reserve is what was conflicting with Quark. I disabled it and I no longer had any problems except that now I don't have a font management tool in that situation.

rhtech,
Sounds like you have margins set to 8.5 x 11 or .5 top and bottom and .25 left and right, if so you need to add the appropriate amount of bleed wich is done in the output option. appropriate bleed in this case would be and asymmetric bleed of .5 top and bottom and .25 left and right. Hope this helps you.

emkemner,

It is not a margin issue, we get this with 9x12 files or other various sized files that will create an 81/2 x 11 PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back