Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 5 to Adobe Acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandlin

Technical User
Jun 18, 2006
US
A recent request from a client has handed me the trouble of converting one of our pages from its quark file to a PDF file. However, when I Export>Document as PDF, I find that Acrobat fails to open or even recognize the document. I can (and usualy do) open this export with no (or little) problems in Photoshop, but as the client is needing to PDF so they can copy/paste certian lines of information as they need it, converting it to a jpg or tff or other image file would not be what they need.
Any info on this would be helpfull. :D
Thanks.

Hi kandlin
Look under Quark Preferences, then PDF and see if you have selected Direct to PDF.
Even tho I prefer export to PDF, you can also choose Print and then choose Save To PDF, you might try that.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

Thanks IMacQuarker for the advice. I tried each of your suggestions, but still have a bit of trouble.

In my Edit>Preferences>Preferences, I couldn't find a Direct to PDF option. Usually, I have the selection of Creative a PostScript File for Later Distilling chosen, but I fear that may not be the connected to what you advised. Making sure I had my Acrobat Reader 5.0 chosen as my distiller (It's usually set to PhotoShop 5.0), I attempted again to Export>Document as PDF, but Acrobat Reader couldn't open the file as "...it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been corrupted...". Attempting to Distill Immediately only resulted in Quark telling me "Acrobat Distiller could not be launched [-38]" even though Acrobat immediatly opened up on this command.

Additionally, I attempted to Print>Save to File, but while there is the Format option of a Acrobat PDF, this option is grayed out, and cannot be selected, leaving me only the choices of PostScript Job, EPS Mac Standard Preview, EPS Mac Enhanced Preview and EPS No Preview.

I've no doubt that there's something either missing or miss-chosen on my setting or Distillers preventing me from fixing this or keeping these setting away from me, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it might be. Any additional advice or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks again from the previous advice, as it did give me something to work on and towards.

Hi Kandlin
Running Quark 6.52 here on Intel Imac with OS 10.4.11.
I just changed my Quark PDF prefs to create a post script for distilling.
Saved it to a folder and got a file called flyer.ps.
I then double clicked the file and the system showed a dialog box that said Converting to PDF.
When that finished I had a perfect PDF file and it automatically opened in Adobe Reader.
Then I just saved that PDF file as a PDF and it seems to work perfectly.
You might try that.
Also you didn't say what OS you are running, PC or Mac?
Hope this helps.
IMacQuarker

Hi kandlin
Correction, when I double clicked the flyer.ps it opened in Preview and from there I had the option to save it as PDF, JPG etc.

IMacQuarker

Hey IMacQuarker,
I'm working of a Mac with OS 9.2. Any time I double click on a .ps file, I always get the standard "...could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found" even though I regularly (with luck) open the .ps files in Photoshop 5.5.
For full disclousre, I am a bit more savy when it comes to PCs than, Macs, so I might be missing a setting somewhere with OS 9.2. Also, I'm only on Quark 5.0, so it may not be as compatable with pdf files. When I last looked at the quark website, the earliest patch they had was for Quark 6.0, and my computer simply didn't recognize the type of file that was at all.
Thanks again for all the info on this thread! :D

Hi kandlin
It's been a while since I used OS 9.2.
But one more tip.
You can click and highlight the .ps file.
Then get Info.
There you can choose to Open With.
See if you can choose to open with Preview.
One last thing.
Here I can open the .ps file with Safari and copy text.
Also if the person you are sending the .ps file to has OS 10.4.11 or higher then they should be able to open with Preview.
IMacQuarker

Now I'm curious if my system really is that archaic. Finding the info on the file in question only will pull up this box,
.... and while it gives me General Information as well as info on Sharing and Memory and changing the icon's color, I haven’t been able to find an Open With or Open As command as of yet.

kandlin yes, you are falling behind with Quark 5 and OS 9.2.
If you can do eBay check out this auction 150216345097
or search for QuarkXpress file conversion.
IMacQuarker

Why not just create either a postscript file or eps and run that through Distiller. That's how we always did it when using Quark 4 on Mac 8 & 9 (the last version of Quark that we used).

A .ps file will not "open" in acrobat. It has to be distilled first, If you launch Distiller and use the Open command on the file menu, a pdf will be then be distilled. If you have your Distiller setting set to open the pdf after generation, the generated pdf will open in Acrobat immediatley after distilling. Make sure you have your distiller setting to the necessary quality, etc, before running anything through it.

To set the default app for opening any file type in Mac 9 or earliet, click once on an appropriate file while in finder, Go to File menu/get info and choose what app to use for opening, clcik the little doohicky in that section of the get info window to get the section where it syas to use that app to open all files of that particlular type. Another bit of infs - Mac 9 and earlier does not rely on file extensions but on info that the sysrem bundles into the file when saving. That's why Macs did not have extensions in file names prior to osx.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

We still do some work in 9.2.

You will need to make sure you open the fonts you need in Distiller first (look up at the menu bar), and then after you make the .ps file, you can just drag that file onto the Distiller window.

It will generate a report afterwards where you can check if there were any errors.

Hi kandlin
What comp and OS does your client have?
If they have a Mac with OS 10.4.11, they should be able to open the .ps file in Preview and copy the text from there and save as a PDF if they need to.
IMacQuarker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back