Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 4 - breaking linked text boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogz

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
CA
Here's my dilemma. I've got a 100 pg document, with text linked on the master page. So in theory, imagine text from page 1 to 100, all linked. What I want to do is break my document's text link at page 50, but not have to copy paste the remaining copy into the text link. What happens now is that once the text link is broken, everything from page 51 to 100 is now blank, and all the text has been backed up to page 50 (which now has a 'plus' sign indicating that there is more text beyond the text box).

Any ideas how to make the break, without affecting the text?

Dave
3Dogz

You've basically answered your own question...you need to copy the remainder of the text....
Then re-link the remaining pages...(if you hold the alt key down when you select the text link tool...it will stay highlighted for all the boxes you link to...then paste remainder of the copy into p51 onwards.

BD

If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...what is the highest?

Baddoggy, thanks for the response. I understand the copy/paste concept, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I want to break the links and NOT have to copy/paste. I want the copy to just continue the flow the way it is, but now with two sets of independently linked boxes.

Then no my friend....the only way to achieve what you want is to have 2 sets of linked boxes and 2 sets of copy.

BD

If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...what is the highest?

Okay, I'm not exactly sure if I've got a handle on what you need, however I think what you need to do is break the link after page 50. If you used the automatic text box feature when you created the document, try this next. Go to your preferences under General, make your auto page insertion "after section". Start a new Section at page 51, kill the rest of the pages from 52 on. The easiest way to get all your text is to get your cursor at the spot you need to reflow from -- on the Mac hold down command-option-shift and then hit your south (down) button (cntrl-alt-shift on pc). This will highlight everything to the end of your text flow even though you don't see it. Cut, and paste into the text box on page 51. It should automatically generate all the pages you need and flow your text accordingly. If you're not using the automatic text box feature, just break the text box link, cut and paste like I said but stick it in the text box on page 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back