Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quantum superloader 3 on V480

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstauff4

MIS
May 14, 2007
US
Hello,

I am trying to connect a Quantum Superloader3 (model L700)to a V480. I have no idea on what the st.conf entry should look like. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

depending on the number of drives the L700 has in it, you may have to un-pound out some of the devices in the st.conf. I believe by default only up to target 6 is active. (bottom of file)

/kernel/drv/st.conf

The Quantum has only one drive in it, set at scsi ID 5. Do I need additional info in the st.conf file regarding make, model, etc for the drive?

Thanks

have you attempted a: devfsadm

if you have, then you will have to search through the st.conf, and see if you see a entry for the drive and unpound the entry, then do another devfsadm or reboot -- -r (if you have the ability to reboot it)

I ran another devfsadm and this is what the section looks like that references target 5 in the st.conf file:

name="st" class="scsi"
target=1 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
target=2 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
target=3 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
target=4 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
target=5 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
target=6 lun=0;

I have rebooted with a -r for a reconfig....
when I issue the cfgadm -l command this is what the output is...

Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition
c0 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c1 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c3 scsi-bus connected unconfigured unknown

This V480 has a single scsi HBA that has a 3310 storedge disk array and the Quantum SuperLoader attached to it. The system sees the disk array but not the tape device.

Having both external devices attached to the same HBA be the problem? Thanks again for your input with this issue.

can you physically see the tape drive if you do a 'probe-scsi-all'

Also you might want to verify if the tape drive supports your current HBA, do you have a LVD,HVD card?..etc

What might I expect to see in the probe-scsi-all output?

The cfgadm command output sees a C3 ID connected but unconfigured?? Is this the tape device?

jstauff4;

as DJR111 pointed out you need to make sure you have an entry in st.conf for the tape unit. If there is no entry for that type of tape drive then you need to get the st.conf entry information from the Tape Drive OEM or search the web. Without the proper entry the driver info will never be loaded and you will not be able to use the tape unit.

Thanks

CA

Jstauff4,

what type of drive is it

dlt,lto ?

the actual drive is made by quantum?

The drive is made by quantum and it is an lto1.

cndcadams - this is where my problem lies, no one has any documentation as to what the st.conf entry for this device should look like. I have searched the web, spoken to Quantum, and there is nothing on the sunsolve website.

Thanks again for your input...

I believe just to make sure it is an OS relate issue, you should make sure it is seen at the HW level using probe-scsi-all.

If you can not figure out if you see the device on the output, if possible post it if not kind of tell us what you see,

for the heck of it tried these, I doubt they will work but it is worth a try.

ULTRIUM =1,0x36,0,0x2D639,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x40,3;
LTO-data =1,0x3b,0,0x2D639,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x42,3;

jstauff4;

I would try giving djr111 st.conf entries a try, they look pretty good to me.

Go ahead and post your st.conf and also run command below.
strings /kernel/drv/sparcv9/st | grep LTO

Also what OS is this and have you updated your system with the latest st.conf patches as this may add the needed entries for you tape drive.

Thanks

CA

All,

Thanks so much for your input...I will give your suggestions I try this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back