Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quantum Fireball Lct20 (QML40000LD-A) - Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp1283

Technical User
May 23, 2004
GB
I have been informed that the controller card does fail on these drives, which appears to have happened to me. I require the information on the drive as it is sentimental. Does anyone have any info about the best way to go about this. I have been told that if I can obtain the same drive I could swap the controller card to try to get the info from the drive. If anyone in the forum has Quantum Fireball Lct20 40GB (QML40000LD-A) drivea drive to sell or could help me out I would be most gratefull.

Thank you

I guess you mean the drive does not power up, i have heard that changing the faulty controller can work, try any of the disk supplers for one to buy. but i have also heard that you could damage the disk if not done properly, not sure how. if the worst comes to worst try
or my bosses used them for recovery data of a dead drive, they may help you some way.

I honestly dislike Quatum Fireball drives. They tend to be very troublesome and fail quite frequently. To that end I haven't used Maxtor drives since they started putting their labels on Quantum Fireballs. As for your drive, is the motor or controller dead? The controller may be able to be replaced as the gentlemen before me noted. Though if it's the motor, replacing the controller won't help and you're looking at removing the platters and placing them in another drive to get the data off, a very risky and sensative operation that usually requires a very similar (generally the same model/make/etc) drive or a custom system. I know people that do that for a living and get paid about $800 just to look at the drive. So you can attempt it yourself, but for best results you're looking at shelling out some major money with no gaurentee that you'll be able to get the data off. If you so wish I can E-Mail you contact information regarding one of the companies that do this, though as per forum rules I shall not advertize them here. I wish you the best of luck with your dilemma there my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back