Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality of Service on BCM 50 VPN/ DSL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnPhoneguy

Vendor
Apr 22, 2008
US
I have a customer that has multiple locations and to cut costs he wants to install BCM 50s at all locations using VPN/DSL and get rid of his point to point T1s. I am a little leery of ding this. Anyone with experience with this setup?
Thanks

To me, it works fine, just got to make sure you implement QOS, establish a VPN between all locations, and make sure your data bandwidth is good.

NTL555

I think that number is for only download, but it will depend if you actually get 3Mb up and down and what actually goes across that. Each conversation takes up 64Kbps up and down but you will still need a router that can handle quality of service.

You can be watching Youtube and your conversation will be choppy.

NTL555

I dont think is 3MB for up maybe 3MB down 128 UP, if it is like that, is not enough for 10 telephone calling at the same time

G711 takes 64 kbps in each direction (actually higher than that due to IP overhead). G729 would use less but remember that perceived voice quality is worse on G729 versus G711 and deteriorates rapidly if there is any packet loss or jitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back