Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality Free or Low(no frills) priced Dynamic DNS Service. NOT dyndns.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
I need a quality DDNS service.

I only need it for Friends and Family that are on a Provider witha Dynamic IP.

I also use DD-WRT so any of the preconfigured or ones that are able to be set up under custom would be good.

I used dyndns.org. I would still be using them if they didn't kick me in an underhanded way.

I don't use DDNS often just when I need to help mostly my mother with her system 6 hours away.

dyndns.org changed up a few years ago and I was grandfathered in on 5 hostname sub-domains that I had at the time on my free account.
I did not need more. I was fine and did not use them enough to warrant paying for a pro account.

Move to July 2and I get a Notice that my account will expire in 5 days and that I needed to then log in every 30 days to keep it active. So I did this.

On July 3rd right before the EXTENDED HOLIDAY weekend I have another Email pop up in my inbox from them. I think it is more the same after a very quick peruse. I then get to it the following week and find that I needed to NOW verify the Hostnames I had or I would loose them. Well that time period had expired the day before. So I am out lost my DDNS' that I had set up.

My take on this, I was a casual user that only needed it infrequently. I started and had had dyndns.org account for a long time and free was no problem. Then they made a push for a paid account by changing their services. I complied and had still my free account. No need to go paid.

Then right before an extended Holiday weekend I am given two notices that I have to start jumping through hoops to maintain my free account and 5 days to comply????? That is wrong. If the free accounts were no longer a viable business model then notify your customers in an appropriate way. Give me a time period to decide my needs. DO NOT underhandedly put out a change notice with hoops to jump through right before a big holiday weekend and only give you 5 days to comply.

This tells me they don't want my business and they have horrible customer service.

So what are my alternatives?

Who is using a good ddns service?

Thank You,

Michael

First, if you haven't you might want to consider contacting them and explaining the situation. I've been a customer of theirs for several years and found them to be easy to work with. While I can't guarantee you success, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Second, the other free dynamic DNS provider that I am aware of is noip.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back