Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quad XEON Processor shows up 8 processors - licencing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmckillop

Programmer
Oct 30, 2001
GB
We have purchased a Quad Xeon Processor box with dual core etc etc.
for some reason in Windows 2000, it shows 8 processors, is this a fault in Windows OS (is it a mistake in hardware i.e. might we have 8 processors), and if its only 4 actual processors, but displaying 8 how many processor licences do I get?

Anyone seen anything similiar?

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

The reason you are seeing the OS showing 8 procs instead of the 4 physical procs is because the procs are hyperthreaded. This is then represented by the OS as 2 procs instead of 1.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks, thought it was an issue with Dual Core/Hyperthreading and OS problem.
So in summary, I buy 4 processors licences as thats all I physically have and then reap the benefits of hyperthreading.

How do things like isolating a single processor for an instance or database work, when in fact its only really half a processor? (do you have any experience of this?)

Cheers

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

Brilliant, exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back