Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quad booting@ide.news.help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronyrstomp

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
CA
Right now I have 2 ide hard drive one 13G the other 20G. On the 13G I have win98,NT4.oWS,NTBackOffice,2000Pro.
On the 20G I boot win98 and FreeBSD.
I had to put FreeBSD on a seperate drive cause it must be install within the first 1024 sector. This means that I have to open the machine and swap the power and data cables when I need to switch drives. I tried removeable hard drive bays but a drive overheated once causeing me to lose a boot secter. Did that suck! So I am back to swaping cables. Rather than spending more money on removeable bays with cooling fans. I am looking for a solution maybe SCSI so I can have as many or as few drives in the box without haveing to physically change the drive in the machine via a removeable drive or by swaping data and power cables. The vastest things are those we may not learn.
We are not taought to die, nor to be born,
Nor how to burn
With love.
How pitiful is our enforced return
To those small things we are the masters of.
- Mervyn Peake

Why don't you just use your 20G as primary master and boot everything from that? I know that win98 and 2000Pro support this and from your description so does FreeBSD. Do NT4.oWS or NTBackOffice have a problem with this?

I had to put FreeBSD on a seperate drive cause it must be installed within the first 1024 sector
The vastest things are those we may not learn.
We are not taught to die, nor to be born,
Nor how to burn
With love.
How pitiful is our enforced return
To those small things we are the masters of.
                          - Mervyn Peake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back