Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qttask and realshed keep appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasibobo

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
NL
Hi,

In msconfig ->Startup I unchecked qttask (Quicktime in taskbar) and realshed for the, in my opinion, unneccesary startup-options. But..... when I hit apply and Exit without re-start they both re-appear the next time I start my PC! Why? I uchecked some more in the startuplist and that works fine (or: they don't work...:p)

Do I really restart immideately after configuring msconfig? Is there another way to overcome this?

T.I.A.

Quasibobo

Don't eat yellow snow!

The easiest way is to uninstall QuickTime and RealAudio. If you do need these occasionally, check on the program's "preferences" and make sure it's not tracking and sending your information to the company (default!). I have both of them, and every time I use one to read a file I have to go back into msconfig and uncheck them. As long as you don't call them up, you'll be OK.

Control Panel, Add/remove programs, uninstall both Real Player and Quicktime. That is the only certain fix.

One possibility is to ignore the issue.

In the alternative, open both programs and under their options menu uncheck their association with known file extensions such as .avi, .mpg, .mp3 etc. and let the file associations revert back to windows.

Don't you just hate that? Like I use quicktime every day! Ot that buggy Realplayer! I have not yet figured out how to stop this from happening.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

If you feel like rolling the dice with REGEDIT (normally it's safe, but you can certainly hose things up if you're not careful) you can try the following:

Regarding the registry settings, you'll need to launch REGEDIT by going to START, then RUN, then type REGEDIT and hit enter.

Once you're in REGEDIT, you'll need to navigate the various trees to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Once you've made it that far, you'll see something in the right-hand window pane that lists everything that the registry causes to run on startup.

In the left column is the "name" that the software company gave to the program that is being loaded. The "type" column are usually all REG_SZ, and you can ignore that. On the right-hand side is the name of the actual executable file that is being loaded.As a general rule, if you are unable to determine what the program is a part of, I wouldn't delete it. If you find a program that you need to stop from running on startup, just right-click on the entry under the "name" column and select delete.

I'll have a go with that.... I'll let you know if it's working.
Thanks so far,

Quasibobo

Don't eat yellow snow!

Good advice, but every time you play a movie or listen to a realplayer file those things put that entry back in there. I must have taken it out 6 times now.
By the way, we should use msconfig to do this. It is "idiot" resistant.

Jon

None of the above suggestions (uninstalling not included) is working. Sigh...

Any other suggestions? Jontmke is right about those entries...

Don't eat yellow snow!

I have Windows Media Player, QuickTime v6.3 and RealPlayer installed on my computer. At first, when I installed QT and RealPlayer, I had those at startup. I then installed jv16 PowerTools, Goto Registry Tools, then click first reg ICON, then on the right click Starting Programs, ON the left unchech QT, and also, you should clean your registry at the same time by going to Tools, Registry Cleaner, and JUST Check "I want to manually..." and "Don't pop up the..."
this has worked for me.
any questions? alecom5@hotmail.com

That is just another way to disable the startup programs. If you open a quicktime movie or realplayer file it will come back.

Jon

I play music and watch videoes with realplayer, and watched 2 .mov qt movies and restarted my computer without those files at startup ... so not sure it could be something else I did...?

Maybe that tool blocks reentry?

Jon

OK, here are my settings.
<Realplayer>

ALL Automatic Services - OFF
ALL Autoupdates OFF - Which is probably what REALsched is!

I use Windows Media Player For default playing of mp3 and mpg, so change those settings in RealPlayer

<WindowsMediaPlayer>

Check ALL filetypes to be played auto.
no autoupdate

Hi,

I learned about an alternative to Quick time that will allow you to play quick time movies as long as you have some type of media player, like windows media or something else.I learned about it at techtv.com. I uninstalled quick time because of the same issues you have mentioned. I hated that it would set itself up in my start menu and it did not provide any Preference settings to allow me to disable it.

Anyways, if you want to check it out, it is at
or go to and do a search for more info.

Let me know how it works out for you if you decide to use it.

isabela

One potential workaround would be to create a couple dummy EXE files (compiled in language of choice) that contains one line:

END

Save the file as QTTASK.EXE and REALSHED.EXE, relace the ones on your PC, and when the crappy software runs, it will.... briefly. :)

This should be tested to make sure there's no &quot;looping&quot; that would cause problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back