Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QR code for username and password (LogIn Barcode) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zks

MIS
Apr 20, 2012
US
Dear Friends

I want to create a QR code for username and password to log on to my email account. Please give me some advice how to encode that... Specialy Tab opstion (to jump from username in to the password area?

Thank you!

All barcodes are nothing more than a graphical representation of the data within them.

Generally this is done by printing the data using a specialized font.

You can do this by using a specialized off-the-shelf application (most often commercially purchased) or you can do this with your own customized application.

If you are looking to do this in your own application, you can do a Google Search for QR code font to find a font.

If you are looking to do this with an off-the-shelf application, then you can do a Google Search for QR code applications

If you have more questions, feel free to come back with a specific question.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

There are two main stages in the creation of most 2-D barcodes, including QR Codes:

(1) High Level:

(a) Algorithmic determination of the most efficient combination of compaction methods, given the input data.

(b) Conversion of fragments of the input data to intermediate 'code words', this conversion is dependent on the compaction mode most suited to that fragment.

(c) Calculation of the appropriate error correction codewords, given the calculated data codewords, and the specified (or calculated) error correction level.

(d) Addition of any necessary padding codewords, given the set of data and error correction codewords, and the required symbol metrics (width, height, aspect ratio, etc.).

(2) Low Level:

(a) Conversion of individual codewords to bar-space sequences (and their placement in the matrix, taking into account 'reserved' positions).

(b) Conversion of those bar-space sequences:

EITHER to a drawing pattern (using raster or vector graphics, as appropriate or desired.

OR to a character selection (perhaps more than 1 mini-character per sequence) using a suitable font.

Generating a 2-D bar-code is AT LEAST an order of magnitude more difficult than doing the same for 1-D bar-codes (and some of those (e.g. EAN-13, Code128) are not that trivial anyway).

So I'd take the advice from jlbbldr and find an off-the-shelf application.

Thansk for all information, jrbbldr and DansDadUK

I have this particular problem. I Can not find the way, how to encode the TAB between username and password in to the qr code. I know that I need to use ASCII key code for TAB, but I can not make it. I use this combination (username~d009password) to create QR code but IT IS NOT CORRECT. When I use a bar code reader to enter my email with QR code it is not usable (the coded text is showen only in to the username text box.

So, my problem is how to encode TAB (jump) between username and password. All three together in one qr code!

Thanks!

If you are attempting to generate your QR code with an off-the-shelf software package, then contact the manufacturer of the software and ask for their support in getting this to work for you.

If you are attempting to generate your QR code with your own application, you will first need to understand the font.
* Can the font support the TAB character?
* And, if so, what is needed to cause the font to generate the TAB?

When you say that you are using the following combination:
username~d009password
that would be unique to the programming language that you are using - especially the ~d009 part of it.

In other programming languages is might very likely be done with a different code string.
That particular part of your question would be better answered by a language-specific (e.g. C#.Net, VB.Net, etc.) forum area.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I'm using online free QR Code Generator :( ... for now!
Is there any possibility to create this set (username and password) to create a QR code to use it for automatic log in to your account, any of them (username TAB password)?!

Maybe this is dummy question but I hope there is a solution, for free. :) I hope!

Thank you jrbbldr

The Horizontal Tab character is the character with decimal code 9, or hexadecimal 0x09.

The attachment is a sample QR Code which encodes

"username" + 0x09 + "d009password"

When you scan it, it depends on the receiving application how non-graphic characters (such as Horizontal Tab) are interpreted.
Some applications will honour them, others may replace them with a substitute character.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g5a0kaz59d5g6je
"username" + 0x09 + "d009password" ??

DansDadUK - wouldn't that be:
"username" + 0x09 + "password"
without the 'd009' preceeding the password?

But again, whether you can build your string using:
0x09 as TAB
or
d009 as TAB
or
CHR(9) as TAB
or
manually do a Copy & Paste of an existing string containing TAB
etc.
depends on the application and/or the language that is being used.

What is a valid string representation for TAB in one language may not be valid in another language.

If the 'free' QR Code Generator is being used, free or not, it was created somewhere and by someone.
Maybe with some Google searches a forum and/or a support area could be found to give you the answers on how to specifically use that application as desired.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks.... both of you,

searching forums is what I'm doing right now. And I'm still trying to solve this problem. If you got some other idea, I'l appreciate if you shared with me!

It will be interesting if I can create a QR to loggon in accounts. That will make our life much more easier...

Thank you

You might want to look at the following (also found through a Google Search):
Encoding ASCII Functions (such as Tabs and Returns)

There is says: ~d009 is used to encode a tab like you posted earlier, but it also indicates that variations are also likely to be encountered based in the language.

They do imply that the code would be:
"username" + ~d009 + "password"
and not:
"username~d009password"

Also, have you ensured that your Decoder is correctly working?

That same reference page shows that there are a number of QR Code variations. Perhaps you are indeed writing a legitimate QR barcode, but it could be decoded by your reader wrong.

Perhaps you might want to read
Reading QR Code Barcodes
on that same page.

I have used that company (IDAutomation) before and they have a pretty good support group. You might want to contact them to see if they might help you.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

jrbbldr:

From what you are saying, the "d009" is obviously some proprietary method (private to a particular application) of generating a Horizontal Tab character.
If so, it's not a method I'm familiar with.

So all I did was take the original value posted, and assumed that the "~" character was some method of representing the tab character graphically in this post/forum.

So I generated (not using IdAutomation) a QRCode which encoded just what I stated (i.e. two strings separated by a Horizontal Tab (<HT>) character, instead of the "~" character).
... and that is just what that bar-code contains.

zks:

So how does your scanner and target application interpret that sample bar-code?
If it doesn't interpret it as two text strings separated by a Horizontal Tab character, then there is a problem with your scanner, or with how the target application is handling the (non-graphic) <HT> character.

Thank you friends.

Can I ask jrbbldr to post the code for that, Please :) ? So, how you put together username and password and TAB between, so when the scaner read the QR, it will automatically fill both lines (username and paswword and log in)... Thanks!

I'm using this online free code generator:

Thank you!

Can I ask jrbbldr to post the code for that

The code for what?

Keep in mind that I am generally developing my own code using languages that clients want utilized.

If you are using some off-the-shelf software package, then you will need to do it THEIR way.
(Google search for: Extended ascii barcode software download)

If you go this route, you are done. Just get the software package and do what THEY need you to do.

However, if you are developing your own code, the task can be done in a variety of ways and representing the TAB part of it will be language specific (like I said above).

Remember that for Code 3of9, in order to support the 'extra' keys like TAB, you need to have both your font set and your reader set up to support Extended ASCII, not just 'standard' ASCII.
(Google for: code 39 extended ascii font)
(Google for: code 39 extended ascii reader)

One way would be to put the whole thing into a single string and then print it out using an Extended ASCII Code 3of9 font.

Some language-specific examples:
"Username" + "\t" + "Password"
"Username" + CHR(9) + "Password"

Alternatively you could put each portion of the string into its own separate barcode and read them separately.
"Username"
TAB character
"Password"

Basically you need to find out what your own development language needs to use to represent a TAB within a string of characters and then output that to the printer - specifying that it be printed using the Extended ASCII Code 3of9 font.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Can I ask jrbbldr to post the code for that

Keep in mind that CODE, is not DATA ENTRY TEXT.

It appears as though DansDadUK has provided you with one version of Data Entry Text (not Code) which worked for him to generate a QR code like you want.

But that will be unique to the language in which the Barcode printing application was written in and/or how many optional ways (if any) that the application was written to accept.

Another off-the-shelf application may only accept things in a different manner - that is up to the application.

Again, if it were me, I'd forget wasting time with QR Code and do it all in something more simple like Code 3 of 9.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I'm also not at all sure what the request for CODE is referring to.

The input data I provided in a .TXT attachment in a previous post, if used as input to the "online free code generator" referred to by zks, generates a QRCode bar-code; when scanned, this returns exactly the same as the input; i.e.:

- the strings "username" and "d009password", separated by a horizontal tab (<HT>) control code character (hexadecimal code 09).

- in hexadecimal,this is:
75 73 65 72 6e 61 6d 65 09 64 30 30 39 70 61 73 73 77 6f 72 64

which is EXACTLY the same as the input text.

I can't see how this data "... will be unique to the language in which the Barcode printing application was written in and/or how many optional ways (if any) that the application was written to accept. ..."; it is just the raw data to be encoded.

And I can't answer the question of how this text (especially the <HT> character) is interpreted by the receiving application, since I don't know that that application is.

Some applications (e.g. NotePad) will honour (i.e. interpret and act on) the <HT> character, whilst others may just ignore it, or replace it with a space character.

DansDadUK - I can't see how this data "... will be unique to the language in which the Barcode printing....

Some applications (e.g. NotePad) will honour (i.e. interpret and act on) the <HT> character, whilst others may just ignore it, or replace it with a space character.

That is one very clear example of how an application may or may not honor the input text values as expected.

Also I have already given examples above of how different languages 'want' to see certain text values represented in order to interpret them correctly.

Some 'want' to see TAB 'natively' input as CHR(9) and other languages will 'want' to see a TAB input as something else like: /t or <HT>

Yes, the application (code written in a specific language) can be created to 'interpret' representations other than its 'native' interpretation, but when the original poster was talking about 'CODE', it can make a difference.

JRB-Bldr

jrbbldr:

I think that we're saying more-or-less the same thing, but from different angles.

Your references to CHR(9), /t, and <HT> are merely some examples of how the user may represent a Horizontal Tab character as input to different applications (although the examples are primarily those used within common source programming languages).

My references to interpretation were to how the raw Horizontal Tab character (and other non-graphic control-code characters) were treated on input to a receiving application (not usually a source programming language).

In almost all of the common coded-character-sets (e.g. ISO-646 ASCII, ISO-8859-1 Latin-1, UTF-8) that I'm aware of, code-point 9 (hexadecimal 0x09) represents the horizontal tab control-code character.

In one of the early posts, zks asks "I know that I need to use ASCII key code for TAB, but I can not make it".

So perhaps we've been complicating the issue with some of our responses.

Assuming that the author is using a modern Windows system, then inputting a <HT> character between username and password strings directly into the input text box, on a displayed web page, of the online free code generator referred to by zks, can easily be achieved as follows:

- Make sure that NumLock is off.

- Hold down the Alt key.

- On the Numeric pad (not on the main keyboard), type in the characters 009 (that is, zero, zero, nine).

I'm still not sure about how the question author is going to use the generated bar-code; unanswered questions include:

(a) What does the bar-code scanner pass the decoded value to?
Most scanners & systems can be set up so that the input is sent to an application (e.g. NotePad), but I can't see how NotePad would help an 'auto-login'.

(b) Would the encoded value not also need to be terminated by something which emulated the 'Enter' key?

Wow....

I was not expecting that this will be so provocated, and I apreciated all your help. I did all of this comination (text entries) and I create all this QR codes, to be used for auto log in in to my email account. (If this works we can use them for all auto log ins in any account that user name and password are required:

at:

1 text input: username~009password
no success

2 text input: username~d009password
no success

3 text input: username + ~d009 + password
no success

4 text input: username<HT>d009password
no success

5 text input: username + 0x09 + password
no success

6 text input: username$Ipassword$M
(code 39 Barcode: <TAB> is represented as $I and the Enter key is a Carriage Return, represented as a $M)
no success

no success.... WHAT ELSE!@?

So, this is the final deal: You want to use you email account. You dont want to write username and password in to the log in screen. So, using a barcode reader (I have Symbol DS6707) you scan the QR code (or other one: 128, Matrix, Code39... that you create using free generator ( you will autolog in to your email account.

The issue is HOW TO ENCODE THE TAB that We use between username and password entry!?!??

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back