Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QoS RSVP issue (win2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phemt

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
US
I unfortunatley installed a wired network card (Xircom) while I had a Linksys wireless PC card already in use. As a result, I could not access the internet through a Linksys router (then on to a DSL Modem.) Win 2K uses its autoIPconfiguration mode and over rides the correct IP information being transmitted by the router.

There is obviously an conflict related to TCP/IP where the event viewer is telling me that the QoS RSVP service terminated unexpectedly. (event ID 7031). The next event is the QoS RSVP service is shut due to system failure. (event ID 10043). The wireless PC card is installed properly because I can see other computers on the network.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to fix this issue?

Thanks, William

Thanks, Bcastner. I downloaded the winsock fix, ran it, and I still have the problem. Perhaps I need to focus on getting the QoS RSVP to run? If not this, any other suggestions?

Thanks, William

Are you using the QoS service? It is still relatively rare that it is in fact used.

bcastner,

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know what Qos is, or does! I'm just going by the event viewer and where the errors are coming from. Where can you suggest I look? The Winsock stack is fine.

Thanks, William

In Theory, QOS (Quality of Service) allows you to designate higher priority packets and lessor priority packets, out bound from your PC (the switch would prioritize packets inbound to your PC)

If we envision your PC being used as a Voice over IP telephone or 'voice chat' application, playing a game and having a remote backup done all at once, we can see that we never want the phone call or chat to break up, then game play is more interesting than how fast the tape backup is doing. Only your PC really knows enough to decide the prioritys, the network can guess but the PC can be programmed to kmow.

In Practice, no one uses QOS unless they are using VOIP, which is too bad.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Jimbopalmer,

Thanks for the info. I use my computer for work and rely on it quite heavily. Never for VOIP. I just want to fix the problem that exists now. I can see other computers on my wireless network, but I can't reach the internet. It has something to do with TCP/IP. When win2k autoconfigures your IP address, there is a conflict somewhere. IF I don't get it figured out, my only alternative is to scrub it and re-load everything. Between Win2K or WinXP, which one would you chose?

Thanks, William

Then look at the Properties sheet for both the wired and the wireless adapter, and uncheck the box for the QoS service on both.

For the wired connection give it a static IP of 192.168.100.254, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 127.0.0.1

Leave the wireless connection at DHCP from the router.

Bcastner,

Thanks for the input. I will try what you offered later on today. Regarding your answer above, I should set the wireless router to use DHCP? If I can't get it working, I have to either repair Win2K, re-install win2K or install Me or XP. (How does XP compare to Win2K?)

My wish is to repair Win2K with the install cd, however, I am unclear how to do that. I don't have the "official" Microsoft CD, but an installation CD that came from Dell with the Computer. I have added several upgrades and patches (up to SP4). If I repair with these old files, will I have to re-apply SP4? COuld you provide instructions to repair Win2k from the CD?

Thanks so much for your assistance, William

Bcastner,

I finally had to call in the hired guns to resolve this issue. The gun was confused for 3 hours and could not figure out the solution. He took the computer home and finally diagnosed the issue. YOU WERE RIGHT!!! It was winsock related.

When I plugged in both network cards at the same time, win2K got confused and thought it could fix the problem and corrupted the winsock registries.

He found the following Microsoft knowledge base

Although the error messages are different, the fix is the same.

Thanks again, Bcastner. You are a real man of genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back